Wire Line

We used dipsys and downriggers, lead core is not for sale here so i have never tried it, will it be able to get the baits ddeep down there?

My target depths depends on loads of different factors, like time of the day, weather, where the bait is and also which time of the year.But mostly we fish at depths from 30´till 150´, 90% of the time between 60´and 100.

We run the dipsys straight off the mono line, 20lb big game inshore bought bulk at Cabelas, and behind the bait/spoon and the dipsy 0.60mm (maybe 65lb?) line.

I just recieved some used Daiwa reels i bought in Ohio. These reels came with something that looks like thin downrigger wire, is this something you normally use? it didnt have changing colors like i read that the lead core has.

Also something new to me.

Kjell

Edited by GLF
Started new thread

I just recieved some used Daiwa reels i bought in Ohio. These reels came with something that looks like thin downrigger wire, is this something you normally use? it didnt have changing colors like i read that the lead core has.

Also something new to me.

Kjell

Sounds like 7 strand 30lb test wire. It's a great way to get the Dipsy's deeper with less drag. Once you fight a fish with wire, you will never use mono again.

Here is a link with some wire info:http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12232&highlight=wire

Sounds like 7 strand 30lb test wire. It's a great way to get the Dipsy's deeper with less drag. Once you fight a fish with wire, you will never use mono again.

Here is a link with some wire info:http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12232&highlight=wire

Very interesting thread, i know i can google for it but, whats the cost of this wire? how often does it need to be replaced.

I think three of the reels came with wire and the other nine reels came with braided, maybe i shoul do a test trip with the braided and the wire.

the only prob is that my rods probably can´t handle the wire, i am using Daiwa interflow rods.

Don't use the wire or braid on the innerflow rods. It will cut right through them. There is a good discussion on wire setups somewhere. Salmonquest started it. I will PM Mike to see if he can move this and you can repost your want ad. Sorry to move it off-topic. Wire is a great tool. You can reach a lot deeper depths with wire and braid than with mono. I will look for a few threads that discuss wire and braid dipseys.

Very interesting thread, i know i can google for it but, whats the cost of this wire? how often does it need to be replaced.

I think three of the reels came with wire and the other nine reels came with braided, maybe i shoul do a test trip with the braided and the wire.

the only prob is that my rods probably can´t handle the wire, i am using Daiwa interflow rods.

No need to replace the wire unless you have a broken strand or bad kink too far down. The cost is about $36 for 1000 feet. It would eat up you inter-flows. Best bet is to go with the Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods, or at least that is what I use. I run braided on my inter-flows with no problems.

Here is the thread on wire setups:

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12232

Randy, I am surprised that the braid doesn't cut into the innerflow rods. Other guys I have talked to have had problems with it.

Kjell, I am glad to have guys like you on the site. I just showed my wife pictures of your gear and told her compared to you I don't have much at all:)

I think you have 1 of everything. You seem to be missing a few Spindoctors though. You might have to take care of that:)

Edited by Paulywood
I can't type

Randy, I am surprised that the braid doesn't cut into the innerflow rods. Other guys I have talked to have had problems with it.

I have two inter-flows rods from Cabalas. They have close to 10 years of use and no problems at all. I run Dacron on one and Fire-line on the other.

Well it's official, I' going to "Fish On" in spring lake Saturday and picking up my 2 new Okuma Blue Diamond 8.6 rods and Connvector45's,for my birthday, Captain Willis(who ownes Fish On) is one great guy, I bought 2 set ups last fall never used them and he's allowing me to trade them in on these two new Wire Rod Setups...with 1000' of wore on each reel.....I can't wait to set them in the water and go deep with some Dipsey's taking them deep and out far...

Guys Visit Captain Willis at his new place in Spring Lake....

"Fish On" Rocks.... I'm sure I'll pick up a few more items while I'm there also....

I'm sure he is, I need weights and still can't figure out planner baords... but I will and then there's rail mounts for rod holders..... Mike said I needed those, but Mike doesn't want to buy them for me, for which I do not understand.....Now I like Mike..and I feel he's a good guy,Ah hell he doesn't need to buy those for me, I don't want those on my radar arch anyways...

I am sure to buy more things at "Fish On" But I'm also sure that Willis would love you guys to stop in and take a look at what he has....I'm still amased that he's going to let me trade in my rods and reels I bought in the fall.... Now that's customer service...at it's best....

I'm sure he is, I need weights and still can't figure out planner baords... but I will and then there's rail mounts for rod holders..... Mike said I needed those, but Mike doesn't want to buy them for me, for which I do not understand.....Now I like Mike..and I feel he's a good guy,Ah hell he doesn't need to buy those for me, I don't want those on my radar arch anyways...

Sheesh....your making me feel bad. OK.....I will buy them for you....after you buy me my new 38' Rampage! :D:lol:

I am sure to buy more things at "Fish On" But I'm also sure that Willis would love you guys to stop in and take a look at what he has....I'm still amased that he's going to let me trade in my rods and reels I bought in the fall.... Now that's customer service...at it's best....

If you do stack some rod holders vertically on that arch, they will be the handiest rod holders on the boat. Nothing better than a Tree, or rod holders on the arch, for running boards. When you are reeling in a fish the rods in the arch are forward and totally out of the way. I didn't think I needed a tree, until I built mine last year. I usually run 4 boards off each side, and they are the Cat's A$$.

Wow, Now Mike you know that the salmon do not care what boat you use to Hunt them, they aren't biased like the fishermen are...so that said, I'm sorry I cannot buy you something that you only WANT and not NEED, as much as I'd like, it won't Help you catch any bigger or better tasting Salmon. though you may look better in it, it doens't matter, you won't be able to take it out as much because the cost of fuel will certainly limit your fishing adventures...( see how I'm talking you out of this). In this horrible economy one must put away our wants and only purchase what we truely need...and thus allowing us to HIT the Pond more often, to fish for the illusive Mr. King Salmon....

I am your friend and you must understand it's only STUFF that we want...We must be happy with what STUFF we already own.

(Words from the great BOLTMAN)

Edited by Boltman
spelling it's always spelling