tip up line question

so here is what i want to do and i will run it past you guys and see what u think... I HATE STEEL LEADERS! btw and use a 30lb braid on my tip ups... but i add some things to my hooks that really help produce more fish like a rattle and a glo bead and spinner bait blade..... but here is a my question.... fluorocarbon..... i was thinking about trying this stuff as a leader.... but heavy like 50lb.... any suggestions? i would be "pre rigging" and wrapping my rigs up on a noodle for swimming to make it easier to get to and put away.... can i use fluorocarbon that heavy and still be invisible and still tough enough for pike? would it be safe using like 25lb test... or even 20lb test...

here is a pic of the "rig" i use rigged with the 25lb fluoro carbon

rig.jpg

the rattle hangs over the baitfish and i have about 1/2 inch above the glo bead the blade with 1/8th of an ince of space so the blade can flutter.... this was the ticket last year i use different color blades and i also use a green rattle i hope this helps anyone who might want to try it

Jay I think 50lb flouro will be stiff as a ball bat in cold water. I don't do much tip ups for Pike or any other ice fishing for that matter. I can see the disire to not use wire leaders but have you looked at some of the tieable steel leader material I don't remember the brand name but I looked at some camo steel line last spring for one of my fly fishing ideas I liked the idea of the tiny dia to strength and flexability. Steelhead don't have the teeth of Pike but they will tear up the tiny leader I use when tossing Stonefly patterns in early Jan in trying to get better presentations I have been playing with a bunch of differant ideas. I often use leadcore in my leader setup it works great in slower holes and I don't need as much weight so using a steel line for a leader could add to the sink rate and increase strength at the same time. Something to think about anyway.

Jim

yeah i talked to someone else on a different forum and he said he runs a 25lb leader so that is what i went with.....for now see how it works... from the way this year has been with rain it looks like its gonna be a long winter! so i am excited about that.. so we will try and see how these new rigs work for me

i normaly run a 5 ft. peice of 15 lb maxuma from the dacron to the the hook with a set up simular to yours , only i yous red beeds and a silver or gold spinner

my reson for nothing heavyer is becouse most pike have lost most of there larger teeth by mid jan when the ice get good down in this neck of the woods

Cobra.

I can't honestly comment on the fluorocarbon line, as I have never used it. I've always been a (no frills) straight cat gut man. I can comment however on Pike and Tip-Ups. Few things, including line size, line color, hook size/color, and often bait type and size, can scare a pike away when he's on the feed. Your rig configuration above pretty much proves that. ;) He is the ultimate predator and few other things prey on him, except other pike in his world. The biggest pike I ever caught (18 pounds) was on Fletchers Pond back in the late 60's, using another pike, 9 inches long on a tip-Up that the bait guy accidentally gave us with our 12 inch suckers. So I'm thinking using even a small rope as a leader would only scare away the smallest of pike. So I guess the only thing left to check and confirm would be the convenience and strength of using fluorocarbon line. And that part might only be learned by trial, error and experience. :P;):grin: But be sure to share your experiences, pictures and findings with us if you would. :) Heres a picture of me holding some dandy Pike my Dad, Brother and I caught on first ice, on the backwaters of the Kawkawlin River back in 1962, when I was but 10 years old.

fish-sagbay-dan-brother.jpg

Cobra.

I can't honestly comment on the fluorocarbon line, as I have never used it. I've always been a (no frills) straight cat gut man. I can comment however on Pike and Tip-Ups. Few things, including line size, line color, hook size/color, and often bait type and size, can scare a pike away when he's on the feed. Your rig configuration above pretty much proves that. ;) He is the ultimate predator and few other things prey on him, except other pike in his world. The biggest pike I ever caught (18 pounds) was on Fletchers Pond back in the late 60's, using another pike, 9 inches long on a tip-Up that the bait guy accidentally gave us with our 12 inch suckers. So I'm thinking using even a small rope as a leader would only scare away the smallest of pike. So I guess the only thing left to check and confirm would be the convenience and strength of using fluorocarbon line. And that part might only be learned by trial, error and experience. :P;):grin: But be sure to share your experiences, pictures and findings with us if you would. :) Heres a picture of me holding some dandy Pike my Dad, Brother and I caught on first ice, on the backwaters of the Kawkawlin River back in 1962, when I was but 10 years old.

fish-sagbay-dan-brother.jpg

i have alil lake that i fish in NE kent county that is full of pike.. me and a buddy got 21 in 2 hours last year using this rig... i will be sending u a om here shorty btw