10/23 & 10/24 report

Adam Bomb

Well, ill start by saying last night shoulda been a good night, but i couldnt hit a darned things. Came home duckless for the first time this season...But i shouldnt have.:angry2::lol:

As we left last night the birds were pouring in, so we were optomistic for this morning. As we came into our spot this morning we didnt kick any birds out which is unusual. I think they musta fed all night with this front coming in. As a result they loafed all morning long. I killed a mallard and a gw about 15 minutes after shooting time began and that was that for the morning...hunted till 10 am.

So, tonight we tried field hunting some geese. The farmer by my Uncles just finished taking the corn off, so we thought we'd give it a whirl since the birds have been flying through there regularly. After we set up, it wasnt long and the birds started coming. Unfortunately they wouldnt finish. They worked our spread beautifully, came down nice, but not quite far enough. Then they headed on their way to the SW. Must be some fields theyre working over there. Good news is we did manage a couple birds tonight and didnt smarten' up too many. Even though the vast majority didnt finish, we didnt scare them, so we should get another crack at em.

Gonna hunt the game area in the morning. If we get a good draw we're duck hunting, if not, we'll try to rangle a goose or two....Not bad options.:D

Good luck next time on those geese. It was kind of slow for us too. My partner got 2 and I got blanked yesterday. We each got a goose today and he got one duck. We both missed a few shots. At least we had more than a few good laughs in the blind!

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late post. Been in Georgia working again. Had a three day stint there, plans changed AGAIN!!!:angry2: so i had to come home early and will have to got back again!:no::angry2:

But anyways, we got a terrible draw that morning, so we passed and went goose hunting. Well, we shoulda took the results from the draw as a sign because we didnt fire a shot in the goose fields. We saw a ton of geese, but they all flew about a mile south of where we hunted.:rolleyes: Still a fun morning laying in the stubble field listening to ma nature come alive.

So, in the afternoon it was youth priority in the PM draw, meaning you must have a youth in your part. Luckily my cousin Will got to his mothers when we were goose hunting so we were able to take him out. We drew 8th overall and got a decent spot. We ended up with 5 mallards that night...Lotta fun in the marsh with my brother and cousin.

Get the youth involved. If this dont put a smile on your face nothing will.

Oct25thYouthHunt006.jpg

Oct25thYouthHunt009.jpg

Oct25thYouthHunt015.jpg

Oct25thYouthHunt016.jpg

Heres the pics of the geese from the other night as well.

Oct25thYouthHunt001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any time, glad you enjoyed them...Wish things werent froze up and season over or i may have a few more. Dont think ill make it out for the late season split because other than one location i know locally, everything else is froze up solid. Not to mention all the snow covering the crop lands...Not many birds around now.:(....Cant wait for October!!!