Waders

Adam Bomb

Well, after 3 years of use my Hodgman Duramag 1200's sprung a leak in the boot last fall, and after several failed attemps to repair them(thanks for all your suggestions last year) im in need of a new pair.

Anyways,I was curious what you guys are using and what youd recommend.

The only waders I would recommend is cabelas. I am very though on my gear and they hold up the best by far. I paid 250$ for my hodgmans and did not even get a full season of steelhead fishing out of them.I had to take out my 5 year old cabelas waders and wear them. I just got a new pair of them last winter and never got cold once.

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated. I paid allot of money for the Hodgemans i had and was disappointed that they only lasted about 2 1/2 seasons in the marsh, ecspecially since i really like them. They were thick and heavy, but they had great features and were very warm. I bought those because i had a cheaper pair of Hodgemans that i had for a good 8 years. I put those things through hell and they lived up to every bit of it. They only died because the rubber boot started to dry rot. But, after 8 years, they earned that right. So, after experiencing both pairs of Hodgemans, it makes one wonder if they changed something?

Anyways, Ive put some feelers out on several fourms and the consensus definitely seems to be cabelas waders. Doesnt matter if its the brush tough, armourflex or their breathable models, they all get good reviews.

One trend im noticing is that many are switching over to the breathables instead of neoprenes. Their ability to be used throughout the season as well as their added mobility and "cooler" wear you get with breathables seem to be some high points along with outstanding durability. Cabelas has a 600 gram thinsulate model that guys are using for the early season as well as busting ice in the late season. In the late season they're simply wear a pair of wader pants or thinsulate pants underneath. Many said they stayed just as warm doing that as they were in their Cabelas Dura mag 1600's that theyve had for years! That speaks volumes to me.

So, after allot of research on several sites and reading all 74 customer reviews dating back to 2006 from hunters all acrossed the country and rating 4.7 stars out of 5, i think im gonna take the leap and try some breathables. All of the outstanding features these have are definitely things i would like in a pair of waders. Not to mention the first rate customer service ive read about should you have a problem with any cabelas waders.

The only thing im torn on is the boot size. Allot of reviews said to order one size smaller than your shoe because they run big, while some said they fit just right. How was the fit of the boots with your cabelas waders?...Same as your shoe or biggers/smaller?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Mine were true to size. I think it depends on what you are comparing the size to. I noticed in a lot of the cheaper footwear, I'd have to go up at least one size. So if your walking around in, made in China sneakers then you would probably go down a size from them.:) At any rate a little more room can be compensated for with an extra pair of socks. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the last minute i eneded up chaning my mind after looking at the Drake Waterfowls MST waders. I went with them and was glad i did. My new Drakes held up great in some very rugged conditions. Best pair of waders ive ever owned. The fit was outstanding and so are the features....Now, we'll see about longevity.