Running Multiple Dive Bombs on The Same Side

GLF

Who says you can't run multiple dive bombs on the same side?

Before we get into running multiple dive bombs on the same side of a boat, we need to understand how to run multiple in-line planer boards on the same side of a boat. When running multiple in-line boards on the same side of a boat, the deepest bait is usually the first board(closest to the boat) from the boat. It is referred to as the inside board. This usually has the most line out. After the inside board, you want to run your next deepest bait. This is usually attached to the middle board, or outside board if you are only running 2 lines per side. This usually has the second longest out. The shallowest bait, with least amount of line out, is attached to the outside board(furthest from the boat). I normally run a full core on the inside, 1/2 core in the middle, and a 2 or 3 color on the outside, on both sides of my boat.

Dive Bombs were introduced in 2007, and I quickly got my hands on them. It was recommended in the beginning to attach the dive bomb in the middle of whatever core you were running. If you were running a full core, you would attach the dive bomb at the end of the 5th color. If you were running a 1/2 core, you would attach the dive bomb on the 3 color. It wasn't until later in the summer and I was targeting deeper fish, and trying to get more baits in the strike zone, that I tried running multiple dive bombs on the same side. I soon discovered how easy it was to get tangled. It seemed like I always tangled when I would try to run my middle board with dive bombs attached, behind the inside board to work it into position. After a couple of tangles, I gave up on the idea of running multiple dive bombs on the same side. Yes, I tried running them 50'+ behind the inside board and still had tangles.

Why was I getting tangles when I tried to run boards around the inside board and work them into position?

I believe there was a couple of things causing the issue. The fact that the dive bomb was probably diving deeper because it was being let out(slower speed equals more depth), and the dive bomb being closer to the board on the new line being let out(its on the 3rd color of a half core, and after the 5th color of a full core). Less line out and more depth equals tangles.

Can multiple inline planer boards with dive bombs be ran on the same side?

If you would have asked me this at the end of last season, or the beginning of this season, I would have said no. Now that I have more time on the water running them and a better understanding of the depths they achieve, I have to say "you bet they can". I spent a few hours on the water this spring, conducting depth testing for the different size dive bombs. After running my tests, I have an opinion on the depth's each size achieve.

I successfully ran them both days this past weekend with 3 inline planer boards and dive bombs on each one, on the same side without tangles. I ran a full core with a 4oz dive bomb, a 1/2 core with a 3oz dive bomb, and a 2 color with a 2 oz dive bomb on the same side of the boat. One of the keys for me to successfully run multiple dive bombs was to have the dive bombs the same distance from the boards. Also, turn the clicker on on your reel after you attach the in-line board. This slows it down from going back to fast and causing the dive bombs to get extra depth. I attached the boards on the backing just after the lead core on the full and 1/2 cores, and extra line out on the 2 colors. I had the 4oz dive bomb at the end of the 5th color, The 3oz dive bomb on the beginning of the first color of the 1/2 core next the leader, and the 2oz dive bomb on the beginning of the first color next to the leader, with an additional 100' of backing out before the board was attached.

When working your boards behind other boards and working them into position, try to go at least 50' behind the board you are working around.

Note! When running the dive bomb next to the leader, make sure you have at least 50' of leader. You do not want to try and remove a dive bomb from the line with a fish on, 20' behind the boat. We all know what can happen when a fish is behind the boat and not ready to be netted. For those that dont, the fish can go ballistic! When this happens, you can not control the fish. This can result in tangles, loss of hardware/tackle, and losing the fish.

You get greater depth out of a dive bomb, the further it is attached from the board. Remember to keep the dive bombs the same distance from the boards.

I am running church walleye boards with adjustable weights. With the full core and a 4oz dive bomb, I have the weight adjusted all the way foreward to #2. With the 1/2 core and the 3oz dive bomb, I have the weight adjusted foreward to #1. With the 2 color and the 2oz dive bomb, I have the weight adjusted foreward to #1. Running them this way keeps them lined up pretty good. I also marked my boards with numbers for easy identification when grabbing for boards.

More baits in the strike zone equals more fish in your box!

Mike Heckman

www.greatlakesfisherman.com

Hi Mike thanks for all of the work. I have been going by the 7 1/2 feet per ounce theory. How much depth per ounce do you feel you are getting attaching the weight farther back?

Craig,

Thats what I got when I did my testing. I got a 4oz dive bomb to bounce bottom in 30FOW on 20lb test mono. I had to have out 250' line from the rod tip to the dive bomb. I also had the rod tip at the edge of the water when I did my testing, which would simulate being on an in-line board.

This was with a gps speed of 2.5mph. I am not sure what the speed at the ball was because I did not have a speed and temp probe at the time. Its possible there was a N to S current or a S to N current, and my data may be inaccurate. Soo....the depths I achieved may vary when they come out in the next precission trollers guide.

• 5 years later...

I'll just second what Mike said. This spring we've been fishing with 4 boards on a side and dive bombs of different weight off each board. We've found them to be very easy to work with.

As Mike stated, watch your speed. If the boat or your board are going too slow when setting the lines and you get to much line out, your bait and lure will sink right to the bottom. I learned that the hard way when we pulled in lines and a couple of lures had hooks full of mussels. Also be aware of your speed when making your turns. If you turn to sharp, your furthest inside board is barely moving. With a dive bomb on it, your bait it will sink like a rock.