need help with lead core

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but i get my lead core tangled alot. Is there a certain order i should be putting them out or something. I have a 18 ft boat and i run 2 riggers, 2 dipsys and 4 core (10,7,5 and 3) off inline walleye boards. Is there something i can do to prevent this from happening so often? Would a planner mast and big boards help? Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

It's hard to tell if you're doing something wrong without knowing how you typically run your setup.

I have an 18' Lund and run 4 or 6 inline boards with 2 or 4 dipseys and 2 or 4 riggers without issue. I had some issues in the beginning with tangling cores, so I feel your pain.

It's easiest to set the outside lines first. Get them fully set and then start the next core. It's best to run the shallowest lines the farthest outside. For example, run your 5 color core the outside of your 10 color core. As mentioned in another thread, I find keeping the lines seperated a bit easier if you move the weights on the bottom of the walleye boards to front 1 notch. It helps keep the nose of the board in the water, particularly with your heavier presentations.

One mistake I used to make is setting the lines too fast, particularly if currents are fast. I find it easier to go a nice, consistent rate while pulling line out from the reel. This helps from tangling the line up on itself.

Above all, experience is a great, albeit expensive, teacher.

Big boards versus inline boards are another topic. They both have advantages. I'm quite sure you will be successful with the inline boards as you grow more comfortable with them.

When do you get tangles? Is it primarily when getting fish or while setting the lines or while trolling or??

I hope this helps a bit.

Set the 3 color first attached to a board. Run this way out to the side.

Set the 5 color second attched to a board set to run opposite the 3 color. Run this way out to the side.

Set the 7 color next and run it to the same side as the 3 color. Run it a little more than half way to the 3 color board.

Set the 10 color to run the same as the 7 color only on the 5 color side.

When you reel in a fish on the 3 color or 5 color take the rod to the other side of the boat that the board is on. This will aid in clearing the 7 and 10 color boards. You can also have someone reel the 7 or 10 color closer to the boat as well.

When you reset the 3 or the 7 color make sure you have the board far enough behind the boat before you engage the drag that you can clear the 7 or 10 color boards.

also, make sure your 7 and 10 colors are far enough away from the boat that if your dipsies pop/take a fish that it doesn't come up into the core.

Probably made this sound harder than it really is.

All the advise above is very good advise.

One added piece of advise...When setting your out side boards, after taking a fish, let it out farther than needed. After the board is in place, bring it back into the normal running spot. Also, don't let out more than one core at a time.