embarrasing

thinking back to my recent post I was thinking..... what has been some of your most embarassing or duh moments while fishing or boating. It should lend itself for some interesting reading and maybe some lessons learned.

I'll start. When I first started trolling I would rig while my dad drove. I had a routine of hooking up the leaders for flashers and fly and then attatching it to the dipsy and kind of tossing the dipsy out away from the boat to clear the downrigger cable well one morning in my sleep deprived, but excited state I was having some problems untangling a few leaders so I was in a rush and hooked the leader I made from the fly to the flasher, then hooked the flasher to the dipsy forgot to put on a snubber unhooked the flasher hooked the snubber and re hooked the flasher to the dipsy I let out the fly over the side then the flasher making sure it was running well after all that prep I then chucked in the dipsy only to watch the whole rig drift down and away out of site. Forgot to hook the line to the pole up.:o yep there goes $30 the hard way. I just kept watching it sink not beleiving my eyes. It even took me a minute to figure out what went wrong...:confused:

Years ago out of Manistee we were on our way out of the harbor almost to the pier heads. My friend was setting lines on his boat. He had put a few rods on top of his hardtop. Forgot about them and started setting lines. There was some chop in the channel when all the sudden we heard the rods slide off the hardtop right into the channel. Wasn't able to save them.:o There goes $300!:angry2:

I'll even add a second. One weekend, we drove out to lake with the boat, got all the way out on the lake to start setting lines and realized I forgot all of my lures. I took them out of the boat to take with me on another guy's boat. I had some hooks and herring, so I ended up running exclusively meat rigs.

ooops....

Haha I've got loads of them. Leaving a WML event in Muskegon my friend and I wanted to fish that afternoon. He said meet in GH, I thought he said whitehall. I was already to Whitehall exit when he called and asked where the heck I was:o Pulling rods out of the holders I dumped a brand new full core setup that I had never used because the reel handles locked. Slowly watched it sink away:(

Just last weekend as we were switching from dipseys to core my crew asked if I always ran 2 snubbers on my wire. They were unaware that I keep a snubber on my wire when not in the water to avoid pigtails so they just sent it out with the extra snubber in front of the Dispey:lol:

HaHA it was all in good fun,i once set a dipsey on the stern of the boat and a wave rocked the boat a little and over she went i just sat there and watched it sink,but seriously Tom i was just jokin a bit.once when pullin into a slip in manistee i killed the boat just in time to smack one of the pilings pretty hard kinda done that look checkin to see who had seen me.oh last summer in port sheldon at a WMFL event i had the boat in the water and a ton of boats were tryin to launch so i was kinda rushing and i forgot to lower the unit so i threw it in reverse and gased it man i got soaked( the guys standing on the dock all sinckered and walked away shakin there heads) ok i'm gonna stop theres more but i just realized that i have said too much already!!:o:o

• 2 weeks later...

Since he did not post it, I will post it for him. I was fishing with another member last year in a WMFL event. I wont mention his name, only his initials....DV8oR. :D Tim had set the rigger and used a rubber band to hold the slider in place. This rigger ended up going, and we grabbed the rod, only to discover there was nothing home. After reeling in the bait to check and reset, it was discovered that he had only clipped the slider on the rubber band and not the main line. :eek: A 53lb king will win the battle every time with a rubber band. :D :D :D

In his defense, it was dark out when the lines were set.

I'll try not to screw up on GLF's boat. :lol: That slider was a super free slider.

Well here's one that may help some of you. I was in Muskegon this Memorial Day weekend fishing with GLF. When I checked into the Fisherman's Landing Campground, I put the credit card like gate key on the dash of Jack's Buick. The reason I did that was so if either of us took the car the key would be handy. When I went to use it it was gone. The dash ate it. I couldn't see it but could barely feel it for awhile. It dropped further in, and the SOGs charged me another $20 for a gate key. Most cars have some kind of grill to keep things from falling in. I think this Buick could have swallowed a full sheet of paper.:)

Ya know Frank its there choice ta give ya that dang key and you didn't twist there arm to get it so i think its there fault!!!just like when i finally get ya on the Tad Pole and that dang rod starts screamin and that 30 lbs King breaks off my favorite moonshine lure I'm not gonna ask you to pay for it!!its gonna be my fault cause if i hadn't wanted to take that risk i shouldn't have put the boat in the water!! Dang Crooks