Making the plunge on a troll temp.

Nailer

I've finely got a Troll Temp (Cannon brand) coming.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions later this summer.

In the past we always used the bend in the dippsey rods to check our speed.

I've got a good idea from reading Keating's book on the temp thing but, what determines what speed to run at?

Do the fish like it slower in cold water (IE Spring or after a North blow) or do they like it the same all the time?

Do the fish like a change in speed (slower or faster) after the sun goes down?

I plan on running it on my inside rigger, correct?

If any one can give me some in site it would be great.

Thanks

Ken.

Fishing for Kings I like to run between 2.5 and 3.2 MPH trolling spoons or flashers and squid or flies. If I'm running some dodgers or some body baits, I start slow with one over the side and increase the speed to see what speed the lure performs well at. A dodger in the spread usually means a speed around 2 MPH. One thing I like to do to fine tune the speed is drive like a drunken sailor. By this I mean a zig zag course. If you keep taking hits on the inside of the turn you may want to slow down a tad, and visa versa. There are a number of variables in the equation, and when you dial them all in EUREKA.:) Let the fish tell you what they want, then give em lots of it.:)

In the Spring try running smaller spoons and some minnow type baits. Don't be afraid to run some mags when there are large bait fish around even in the Spring.

Speed is important but different offerings run differently. Personally I think it's most important to run @ the speed the lure performs well at. Trolling spoons have the widest speed range.

I run my probe on an inside rigger as do most.

Congrats on the new toy! After 5 years of telling myself I need to get one, I'm also installing a Cannon lure/speed/temp indicator this spring. I haven't decided for sure which rigger it will be installed on yet, but probably on one side because my 2 side riggers are electrics and my 2 middle riggers are manual.

I often run body baits in the spring with pretty good success. I phase them out as I get farther into the season for the exception of an occaisonal steely chaser up on a 3 or 5 color core in that mid-June to mid-July time frame. I've done well with the blue and silver body baits, like a tail dancer or x-rap, on the smaller cores as a tail gunner up higher in the water column for steelys.

Other than that, I 100% agree with what Priority 1 says and do close to the same thing, especially the zig-zag and using a speed that gets good action into the bait.

BTW I use a Fishhawk 840 that came with my boat. I have six smoke detectors that use the 9V batteries as back up protection. I change these smoke detector batteries every year, and they still are in the green on the battery tester when I take them out. The batteries then get used up in my Fishhawk. A few bucks saved on batteries helps fill the tank, or buy a spoon or two.:)

Let me know where you are finding gas that cheap. I could use a couple hundred gallons to start this season. :D

I hear you on the gas. My tank got topped off before laying the boat up. I usually burn 5 or 6 gal a trip. April will be 8 years since I retired. I think gas was around $1.50 a gallon then. My pension has went down since then because of the increases in health care insurance. I have to look at every expense very close. Pretty soon it will be row row row your boat.:lol: I am lucky to have some good fishing partners that help me out with expenses. I have to pinch a nickel until the buffalo craps a dime.:lol: Just a fact of life. I know what the real problem is, I'm having a hard time finding buffalo nickels any more.:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

im going to order a new temp speed this year as well,i have the old big jon multi troll,works but seems to cut out alot more than it use to, im gonna go with the sub troll 900 by moor i think, cannon has alot of options and the depth raider is also a good unit,but the more i read the accuracy of the sub troll is for me, congardulations on your new purchase nailer its a nice peice of the fish catching puzzle,,in spring i down size lure size and do what i call the lazy S if your getting bites on the inside turn of the S i slow down a tad if they are hitting on the outside on the turn i speed up, good luck

im going to order a new temp speed this year as well,i have the old big jon multi troll,works but seems to cut out alot more than it use to, im gonna go with the sub troll 900 by moor i think, cannon has alot of options and the depth raider is also a good unit,but the more i read the accuracy of the sub troll is for me, congardulations on your new purchase nailer its a nice peice of the fish catching puzzle,,in spring i down size lure size and do what i call the lazy S if your getting bites on the inside turn of the S i slow down a tad if they are hitting on the outside on the turn i speed up, good luck

Joe, If you get a new unit and the old one still works somewhat, I have a cousin that would like to have one. If you interested in selling it let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I think that Cabela's discontinued them. I had one and it worked very well, until it got tangled and the line broke. I think that I saw something similar in a magazine recently but don't remember where. If I come across it I will post the info.

Ok so my Cannon troll temp finely came in. One question, Why does it have a wire sticking out its bottom? The cannon brand clips to the cable in it's front and has a safety wire on it, but it also has a third wire sticking out the bottom near the front.

Thanks,

Ken.