Down Sizing Your Baits In The Fall

GLF

After the spawn, how many of you run the same baits in the fall that you run during the summer? How many of you down size your baits in the fall? Do any of you put on bigger baits?

I went fishing both days this weekend. On Sunday we went 7 for 12. I checked the stomaches of the fish while I was cleaning them. There was a lot of 2-3" alewives in their bellies, with an occasional 5" one.

These fish are 2-3 years old. We caught a lot of fish today. We also marked a LOT of bait fish and other fish. We had are baits at the depths we were marking them. These bait fish and fish marks were between 120-150' down. I do not have a temp probe, but it looked like the thermo cline was showing up on my fish finder around 110-120'.

The next time I head out, I will put putting some smaller baits on. ;)

We tend to use a lot of regular-sized Stingers in April and May and then again in October. We mainly use Stingray-sized spoons throughout the other summer months. This time of year I have always used around 80% regular-sized Stingers, especially on divers, lead cores, coppers, and surface boards.

Thanks for the question Mike. I have wondered the same thing about the size of fall lures. We went out Friday afternoon to 150 fow and never marked a thing. Skunked!

Thanks Captain Jon, I'll put away the stingrays till next summer.