Walker Deeper Divers

http://www.auroralitestackle.com/walkerdeeperdivers.html

Has anyone tried the Walker Deeper Divers. They look almost identical to the L.J.'s Dipsy Divers. The price on these seem to be a buck or 2 less than the Dipsys. The main differences that I can see, is a slightly different release system, and the fact that they don't use a ring. It looks like they are sized to duplicate the dipsy with a ring. I most always use my Dipsys with the O Rings. The L.J.'s O Rings always seem to wear out by the small tabs. Some after-market rings are better than the L.J.'s Rings. I may give these Walkers a try. I was just curious if anyone has used them, and their opinions on them. TY TY TYVM.:)

I've used them. They work nice. I did, however, find a couple of things about them that I didn't like. First off, Dipsy Divers use a flat bladed screwdriver to adjust the release tension and the directional weight on the bottom. The Walker uses a phillips head. So when I'm using both the Walker and a Dipsy, I need to have two types of screwdrivers at hand. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a pain in the butt...."Has anyone seen the Phillips head???" The second thing, and this may have been an isolated incdent, but I had the welded ring on the back of my Walker break open and it cost me a fish. I'm not sure if that's been a problem area with them or if I simply got a bad weld on the one that broke.

Other than those two issues, I liked the fact that there wasn't a ring to deal with, I liked the release, and the directional weight on bottom kind of ratchets into position which I like better than the dipsy, which just slides and often moves from the position I set it at. Bottom line for me is that I'm not going to run a mix of dipsys and walkers. That screwdriver issue is just enough of a pain to keep me with the Dipsy Diver, mostly because I already have a bunch of them. And I'd keep an eye on that ring on the back too.

Here's a little srewdriver hint. Get one of those screwdrivers that the shaft comes out and has a phillips on one end and flat on the other. It definitely comes in handy. Mine also has 2 different sizes of each kind of end. Saves from having 2 screwdrivers and all are easily available.

Nick, VG Point. I have a 6 way screw driver on my boat. It takes the place of 4 different screwdrivers and is also a 1/4 and 5/16 nut driver. These screwdrivers are the Cat's A$$, especially on a boat where space is at a premium. Three tools that are always close at hand on my boat, is that screwdriver, a couple of needle nose pliers, and a Side Cutter.:)

Capt Bill, Thanks for the info on the Walkers. I may try a couple. I have Dipsys and Slidedivers that I will continue to use also. I'm down to 2 Slidedivers and about 4 or 5 Dipsys. I'll probably pick up a couple of the Walkers, to add to the mix.:) I seldom run the Slidedivers with much more than 6 foot of line in back of them, so when they go I'll probably not replace them.:)

The welding ring issue is a big concern for alot of people.

When I was informed of the defect in the spring,the first one I bought,I tested the ring with my fingers,the weld broke with firm pressure!!

Walker has since changed that welding ring to a heavy duty cross lock snap.

If you have any lying around with the welded ring,test them,you'll be surprised at how weak the weld is :eek::eek:

I lost a meat rig and Capt John flasher because of the ring breaking - not happy about that - I dont think a fish even hit it - reeled it in at the end of the day and all was gone - kinda funny looking just the diver on the end of the line, it was a purple diver and looked more like a space ship on the line since there was nothing behind it lol . I am laughing now but not that day. I must have trolled for 2 hrs with it. Other wise the deeper diver worked fine, I will be changing the screw on it though, just plain dont care for the phillips head.

Well it sounds like they rectified the problem with the snap, instead of the welded ring. I guess if anyone has the older ones with the welded ring it may be a good idea to replace them with some HD snaps.:) Better to do the ounce of prevention, than loose a pound of hardware. I think we all have enough hardware on the bottom of the big ponds to stock a tackle shop.:D

I have used them and they work ok but I prefer to use slide divers. I like the fact that you can run the lead the length that you want. They have rings also. Actually the rings even work on the dipsy diver and they work better than the ones that you can get from L.J. I also just heard that the maker of the slide diver just came out with a new product called the slide diver lite bite. From what I have read the problem with the diver not tripping with smaller fish is gone. Hey no more shakers. Personally I can't wait to try them. Specially on the walleye side of it.

http://www.auroralitestackle.com/walkerdeeperdivers.html

Has anyone tried the Walker Deeper Divers. They look almost identical to the L.J.'s Dipsy Divers. The price on these seem to be a buck or 2 less than the Dipsys. The main differences that I can see, is a slightly different release system, and the fact that they don't use a ring. It looks like they are sized to duplicate the dipsy with a ring. I most always use my Dipsys with the O Rings. The L.J.'s O Rings always seem to wear out by the small tabs. Some after-market rings are better than the L.J.'s Rings. I may give these Walkers a try. I was just curious if anyone has used them, and their opinions on them. TY TY TYVM.:)

Hi all,

I run the walkers and they work just as good as a dipsey, plus there's no ring. One thing I have noticed on dipseys, and walkers is the ball swivel on the back doesn't work very good, you need to either use a bearing snap swivel, or a ball swivel on the leader. The walkers are a little heavier in weight then a dipsey too, so you need to keep some tension on them while letting them out so they don't spin. I got one of the slide diver light bite in the mail but haven't tried it yet, it looks like a great idea.