NO baitfish in Southern Lake Huron?

Baydawg

Well I decided to give ol' Sanilac a try today. My wife was gracious enought o share her Easter chasing the fish. I told her on the way over that fishing Huron was like dating a nun. If I got a couple great...if I did'nt, what did I expect.

Here goes the report...

We dropped the boat in at 9:00 am and rolled out to 25- 30 FOW. I put a spread of 2 downriggers and 2 lines off of my new homemade boards. We trolled North for a while and got nary a bite. I decided I had enough of bucking the waves so we turned south. As soon as I got even with the port we had a release on a Greasy Chicken Wing standard streak, but no one was home. We continued our troll south and got a little close to those shoals. I was freaking out because the bottom came up from 18 fow to 9.5 fow really quick. I ram back and raised my downriggers to 6 feet and whammo we were hooked up. It turned out to be an ultra healthy 10 pound King. He ate a Magnum blue berry muffin streak.

DSCF0008.jpg

I thought someone told me there were no kings left in Huron? I lost a screamer on on the same blueberry muffin. I could barely get the rod out of the holder. I had it on for about five minutes but my line parted. It was the strongest fish I have had hooked on the great lakes. It pulled 250 feet on the strike.

While I am un- messing myself up my board rod went off. It turned out to be a 4 pound tasty coho that drilled a orange body/ black head bomber.

Here is a pic of the silver today...

DSCF0011.jpg

We also caught two greasers.

Total count was 4 for 7.

Here was what was in there bellies..

DSCF0012.jpg

I would love to see Huron come back on!