Turkey Season 2006

caznik

Ok Members,

Lets see this year who gets the biggest turkey in 2006. What you have to do is take a picture of you and your turkey, weigh it, and measure the spurs and the beard. When turkey hunting is all over we will take a poll and let every member take a vote on the best turkey picture and biggest bird. Lets see who gets the bragging right to be the #1 turkey hunter in 2006.

Yes GLF you can count your back yard birdie. :D

ANYTHING GO's

Good luck to everyone this year,

Caznik

She is not very big, and I do not think she has any spurs. She has a nice beard for a hen. Speaking of bearded hens, did I tell you about the woman at.....:D

My season starts the 17th. Hopefully I can get one for everyone to shoot for.

Here is my bird from 2005.

Turkey1.jpg

It had 11 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurrs.

My son wanted in the picture also. He is going to be a fisherman and a hunter. Oh wait...his name is Hunter :P

you got that rite mine is almost like shooting a rifled barrel

I have never had a shotgun with a field barrel throw a slug as good as this beretta. All I use are Winchester foster slugs in a 2 3/4" or 3" flavor. I believe it thows a slug better than a lot of the slug barrels out there. Maybe its just the shooter :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Well turkey hunters here is my new record turkey for 2006.

cazniksrecordturkey.jpg

Cazniks Tom

25lbs.

Dble beard- 10 1/2" and 6 1/2" long

Only one spur on it- 1 1/4" long

My Dble beard

beard.jpg

Good luck to all of you turkey hunters,

Rich

Congrate on the nice bird Rich. He didn't come from your lease did he? My season starts Monday, hope to find some birds to chase.

Hey Steve,

Yes I did get that bird where the area you and I hunt. I been seeing alot of birds there and herd alot towards your woods. Last Friday morning I had a coyote chase off my turkey from your property by the dump. Well lets say he will not be around no more.:D

Also when I was driving to my parking spot Saturday morning. I seen 12-16 coyote pups in the road running around. We may have a problem with coyotes this year.

Good luck,

Rich

Well after working third shift last night. I went straight home to see if my dad happen to shoot his turkey for this year. When I went into the house there was my dad and he told me that he finally hit a turkey with his crossbow. After missing three time this year he finally hit one. So then we took a trip in the woods around the back of my house to see if we could find any blood. He showed me where he hit the turkey and then we started to go find some blood. About ten yards from where he happen to shoot it we was on the blood trail. We tracked this turkey for about 20 yards and lost the blood. After looking in the woods for a half an hour, I went back home to get my German shorthair to see if she could find the turkey. I took her at the end of the blood trail and let her sniff around. She was wondering around for about 5 minutes and headed for the swamp grass. As we watched my best buddy in the swamp grass looking around, she started to point at something. It was really cool, She stayed really still on her point. As I started to walk up to her. Then the turkey tried to get up and fly away. My dog then jumped right on top of the big turkey and held it down for me till I could help her out. Well my dad finally shot his first turkey with his new cross bow.

dadsturkey06.jpg

23lb. Turkey

8 1/2" Beard

1 1/4" Spurs

Good luck hunters,

Rich

Well after working third shift last night. I went straight home to see if my dad happen to shoot his turkey for this year. When I went into the house there was my dad and he told me that he finally hit a turkey with his crossbow. After missing three time this year he finally hit one. So then we took a trip in the woods around the back of my house to see if we could find any blood. He showed me where he hit the turkey and then we started to go find some blood. About ten yards from where he happen to shoot it we was on the blood trail. We tracked this turkey for about 20 yards and lost the blood. After looking in the woods for a half an hour, I went back home to get my German shorthair to see if she could find the turkey. I took her at the end of the blood trail and let her sniff around. She was wondering around for about 5 minutes and headed for the swamp grass. As we watched my best buddy in the swamp grass looking around, she started to point at something. It was really cool, She stayed really still on her point. As I started to walk up to her. Then the turkey tried to get up and fly away. My dog then jumped right on top of the big turkey and held it down for me till I could help her out. Well my dad finally shot his first turkey with his new cross bow.

dadsturkey06.jpg

23lb. Turkey

8 1/2" Beard

1 1/4" Spurs

Good luck hunters,

Rich

Tell your dad I said Nice Job!

Well I finally managed to bag my bird today. This is my third year tring to bag a tom and everthing finaly came together. Couldn't get out early this morning and almost decided not to go at all. About 11:30 I took a drive out to 7 acres I own and took a stroll to the back of the property, hoping to catch some bird in te hay feild across the fence. Well I got to the back of my property, corner of the woods and small feild and hit the box call a couple times not expecting a reply. Havent had a bird answer sence the season started on Monday, they would gobble on the rost but as soon as fly down they would shut up and not answer.To my suprise a tom gobbled right back at me from about 150 yards south of me. I went about 30 yards into the woods and set up figuring he would be across the fence in the hay feild. Sure enough after about 20 min. of gobbleing and me answering him he finally came into view in the hay feild. I watched him fan and figured with a nice even tail he wasn't a jake and the rush was really on. At 35 yards I put the bead on his head and lights out. He went 20lbs, 8 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Not the biggest bird in the woods but I was sure happy.

Nice job Steve,

I have been taking my daughter hunting and we have not been doing so well. Just like you said, as soons they are off the roost they stop there calling back.

See ya Sunday,

Caznik

• 3 weeks later...