How old is too old?

I was wondering how often you guys change your leadcore. I put it on new at the end of the 2005 season and it still looks good.

I also have Fireline on my dipsies; put on same time as the leadcore. I stripped about 200 feet off it and it still looks pretty good too.

On a side note, the fishing in Frankfort is, in a word, SLOW.

I'm new to leadcore use, but the outer shield is a low stretch braid like the super lines. The braids do hold up longer than mono. Before using any rods the first time in the spring the line should be re-tied and a line determination made. The knots can tell you a lot.

How much did you run it in the 2006 season?

If you ran a full season on it is probably should be changed out.

Just because the outer shield looks good doesn't mean that the inside "lead core" isn't damaged. When the core breaks it rubs on the sheathing and weakens it.

Sun can do alot of damage to the line as it sits out on the boat also.

At minimum cut and retie all connections and add new leader.

How much did you run it in the 2006 season?

If you ran a full season on it is probably should be changed out.

Just because the outer shield looks good doesn't mean that the inside "lead core" isn't damaged. When the core breaks it rubs on the sheathing and weakens it.

Sun can do alot of damage to the line as it sits out on the boat also.

At minimum cut and retie all connections and add new leader.

I'm sure most charter captains use their equipment enough to replace line even more than once a year. The retie is a must, and yes sun does take it's toll. The retie also can tell a lot about line condition. The knot is the weakest part of the line. If you have trouble getting a good knot, throw it out.:)

The knot is the weakest part of the line.

Is that true?

I've seen line break before knots?

I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy or anything, just wondered if there was some scientific proof or something to that!

Is that true?

I've seen line break before knots?

I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy or anything, just wondered if there was some scientific proof or something to that!

It's a well known fact. Some of the better knots approach 100% of the line strength, but not quite.:) The knot slightly weakens the line.:)

Knots weaken the line simply because when they are tightened the line distorts and the wraps actually cut into themselves.

With mono it’s interesting that the smaller the hook eye, the greater damage is done to the line. Sunlight greatly deterioates mono as well as does damage to the braids. It won't hurt the metal (lead, copper or stainless). Long periods of use with copper & stainless will harden them & they will eventually go brittle and easy to break if bent sharply. Lead won't go brittle but will thin out.

When any line breaks before the knot breaks, it’s because the line has either become stretched thinner, kinked or has become nicked.

One of the above post suggests that lead core is like other super lines. Lead core is not like power pro or fireline or other spectra lines. It is like dacron. Therefore it also doesn't hold up like the superlines. I have powerpro and fireline that is years old, but lead core does wear out. I have been told that the most damage is done because is gets wet and absorbs water then it is wrapped up and rots, for lack of a better term. I am sure sun does it's damage too. For me lead core replacement is a judgement call based on how much I use it. I have many core rods set up, and they don't all get equal time. I just keep an eye on them through the year, and replace them as needed. As for the backing, I almost never replace my Power Pr backing.