down in the dumps

As I stated last weekend the starter on my boat took a big dump however got her rebuilt and works well no dammage beyond that. only problem now is the baot keeps flooding itself out. I actually watched fuel pouring into the intake from the top of the carb while looking down through the venturies into the top of of the intake. Took the carb apart and put her backtogether and same thing. keeps backfiring while starting due to the excessive fuel so I shut her down untill I can get a carb kit. actually had a small fire when it backfired so I did not want to blow up a piston. Has to be the needle and seet sticking wide open. Any other thoughts.

Good to hear you got the starter back on and working.

A stuck float bowl will cause this. I had this happen on a truck I use to have. Ended up being a clip came off the float bowl.

Im going to pull the carb and take it over to Matteson's as there mechanic is a close freind. called him lastnight at home and he thinks the same. And he said for what its worth we may just as well put a hole carb kit in.

this would explain what happened to the starter as it went out when she backfired last time out and more than likely that is what busted that gear on the bendix.

silver one

Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order. Either the needle is stuck and not shutting the fuel off or if it has a float, the float is sticking. Either way getting it fixed is a lot better than taking a chance of a fire and blowing the starter or motor.

i agree that the problem is is the float,but it may not just be sticking,sometimes the float leaks,kinda like a bobber will sometimes and then it sinks in the bowl and no matter how much fuel is in there ya get full fuel flow and what you described happens. good luck a carb rebuild will fix it though.

I had this exact same problem on my boat a few years back. My brother took it up to Higgins for the week and it wouldn't run decent the first day. Took the carb apart and the float had a hole rusted in it. (Previous owner must not have fogged good enough or it was just old.) Put a new kit in and ran like a champ.

Just came in from the barn. Finished putting the carbortator back in the silver one and resetting the timming and got her tuned back in. She is holding Idle at about 800rpm's without missing a beat. Its a good feeling when you have her dialed back in and feel confident about the motor. My opologies to my wife and kids as I have been a real bear to deal with while trying to get this dialed back in. My wife occasionaly reads some of my post off of the site so im hoping she reads this and it will get me some brownine points.