Holland 8/5 - 3 for 8 plus a night of donations

Waited for the Tournament boats to clear and headed out with a neighbor for fish 170FOW again and then pull in close at sunset.  Fished riggers, similar to 2-nights before but with 4 down versus 3 and 2 mono 1 1/2 set dipseys to the side.  We got action immediately on the two deep rigger lines as we passed through 170 FOW before anything else was down.  Lost one spoon on the 12lb mono as soon as it was hit.  Looped back around and hit a lake trout at the start of the westward run.  Let it go successfully.  Later the outside dipsey fired, good run.  Fish was pulling hard.  Problem was I didn't go through star drag 101 with my neighbor and he crank it to a dead stop.  We lost everything including the Smart Troll probe (I had double OR16 clips on the line - don't know how we did not recover the probe).  Got the dipsey back in the water and did another loop.   Nothing on this go around so we pointed towards shore to fish inside.  Had to run both motors with some additional rpms to pound through the chop.  Got a 5lb king heading east on the the other outside dipsey that we kept.  I was a better star drag coach that go around.  Closer in, the lite line popped again - break off.  Got that back in the water and it popped once more - again a break off.  The meat rig finally got a rip, no one home.  Now I am getting a little drunk . . . . on all the gear I lost so I was done with that 12lb test rod, removed the meat rig and put that rod down with a spoon in place of the lite line.  Nothing hit at sunset but we did drag another laker around for some time on the SWR that we released when we pulled lines.  I did some late night on-line business with Tackle Haven and Smart Troll over an Oberon when I got home.  And tonight, that 12lb test will be stripped from that reel and replaced.  Data below.

# Time Fish FOW Latitude Troll Rod Bait Depth Bait
1 4:45PM Drive by 164 42o47.640' W SWR 108B Mag PK Green Dolphin Foil
2 4:50PM Break off 165 42o47.640' W DR 104B Mag PK  Blue Dolphin Foil
3 5:36PM Lake Trout 8lb 148 42o47.380' W SWR 108B Mag PK Green Dolphin Foil
4 5:55PM Break off 167 42o47.110' W Dipsey 65 Stinger UV Blue Edge
5 7:33PM King (N) 5lb 164 42o48.495' E Dipsey 63 Stinger UV Blue Edge
6 7:46PM Break off 135 ? E DR 104B Mag PK UV Blue Jeans
7 8:00PM Break off 116 ? NE DR 104B Stinger Killer Blue
8 9:20PM Lake Trout 5lb 111 ? SE SWR 108B Mag PK Green Dolphin Foil

• Like 6

Check your rod eyes or release with a q tip just in case there’s a nick?  Had a black’s release with a burr that was breaking off even 30#

We were out Saturday night in the 14’ and quickly learned that was a mistake.  Fish finder puked no way to tell depth other than dropping a rigger down.  Didn’t even get everything set and the 200 copper screamed.  Set the poor man’s auto pilot (ride the waves) and started clearing lines and my daughter landed her first king in probably ten years. Just the riggers down turned back into them and pounded in until they hit the bottom where it wasn’t any calmer like I’d hoped.

Took forty minutes to get in never even bothered to try to plane out.  

2186264A-7397-4A4C-93BE-6F4F219E024D.jpeg

9E329D16-D09B-4E93-8601-4F2BCFCFC363.jpeg

• Like 5

Those pics are to die for.  A big congrats to your daughter for landing that fat king in the big bounce Saturday night.  She has been taught and learned well how to get big fish in the boat.

Also a big thanks for looking at the rod guides.  Admit I did not think of that but it makes sense.  I also have a back up lite line rig that I will deploy next time as I sort this out.  

Best of luck next time out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

zGrinder - wow good job finding the bite on Saturday night - out deeper than I had been looking - how frustrating to have that many break offs... the current this past weekend was intense and that caused us all sorts of fun trouble/tangles so know that misery loves company

FBD - that pic and story of you and your daughter braving the howling east wind gusts and landing that behemoth is legendary!

We were fishing bass by big red til about 8pm last night and then snuck out as the weather improved for a bit and tried to find em.

Took a double on Coho in 90 fow while setting lines.  Then crickets kinda.  We could not find marks even which surprised us.  Figured with the lake turning over they had pushed in closer but they just weren't there really.  Zig zagged in that 65-90 fow.  Got a big laker on a dipsey in FOW after sunset.  Go figure when pulling lines in 50 fow at the end then we started marking what was maybe the kings?  All I can tell you is that when we anchored in the cove by big red the water temp on the shore was low low-50s last night! brrh

20230806_183443.jpg

20230806_201932.jpg

20230806_210952.jpg

• Like 4