No fish this morning but I gathered enough information to post a little report, maybe help someone planning to fish this area. I started out a bit late and didn't get lines set until about 7:30 am. This was only my third time out this year and the main purpose was to try out and tweak some new equipment. I marked good numbers of fish and there were a lot of dead baitfish floating on the surface. I ran two downriggers with an Agent Orange Moonstone spoon on one, and flasher/fly on the other. Tried Kev gf with a green fly for a while and then a blue combo Salmon Candy rig. Marked a lot of fish in the 40'-50' depths, enough worth mentioning at 80', and a few down over 100'. There were also spurts here and there at 20-30'. Started in about 120 fow and headed north into over 200 fow. I marked fish pretty much everywhere. Even on a big turn which took me out to 300+ fow. I had two new reels set up with weighted steel line, 200' and 300', which I took turns putting out with different flasher/flies, and spoons. No hits, nothing. Fished until 10:45. When I got back to the launch a boat came in with four people and they had four kings. The most I could get out of them is the fish were real deep. One guy mentioned 110'. Funny, I always am pretty free with information when someone asks. Not sure why some guys act like you're going to fish the lake out if they share something. Ego I guess. Anyway, I had fun and that's what counts. It was the first run with my new Fishhawk so I was getting that figured out. Also bought some big boards for the weighted steel and was playing with the tension setting on the Sam's pro releases. Looks like a decent forecast for tomorrow so I plan to hit the water earlier in the morning. I'll post if I manage to get anything.

Sent from my moto z4 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 3

Nice to get a report from up north! I'll be out tomorrow too. Good luck.

I was never a fan of the Sam's Pro releases. The release would trip, but the board just pulled under water for me. I found it harder to pull the board in, especially on big fish. Hopefully you get some hits tomorrow to try things out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

• Like 1

Oh boy, I hope that doesn't happen. I've watched a few videos, some say it matters how you wrap the line. I don't know. I still have the off shore releases if I have problems. I just want the front one to release so I'm not fighting the board when switching lures or bringing in fish. I've done it both ways though. Good luck to you Jason.

For pulling 300 copper or a full core, I use the Off Shore SST boards with the stock OR-18 clip.  Between the weighted line and the 50lb Power Pro backing, I add about 10' of 30lb mono specifically for clipping the line to the boards.  I gave up on trying to get Power Pro to hold on to anything.  Last night I just ordered some gear to spool up two weighted steel wire reels.  I like how copper wanders nicely in the water but I am loosing patience with how it spools out and lays back down on the reel.  Since you just made the switch, were you happy with the performance of the weighted wire line?

And better luck on your next outing?

• Like 1

Last night I just ordered some gear to spool up two weighted steel wire reels.  I like how copper wanders nicely in the water but I am loosing patience with how it spools out and lays back down on the reel.  Since you just made the switch, were you happy with the performance of the weighted wire line?

So far I like it. I never did use copper. I got out of salmon fishing for a number of years, so I went from leadcore of yesteryear straight to weighted steel. I actually still use leadcore too. So far I only have a 200' and 300' weighted steel, but will be stringing up a 400' today. The hardest part is learning how to tie the steel into braid and mono. After trying the termination kit they sell (junk imo), and several other methods, I finally came upon a system I like. I start by running a 50' fluorocarbon leader 25# test to the steel. I use high vis yellow braid backer (65#), with a 15' or so section of mono for clipping the board on. I went with a technique which gives me 100% knot strength on the entire line and no giant knots to catch on the guides. I love it. The steel is terminated to the mono and braid using a Daho needle and hollow braid. You can Google a YouTube video on this. I will have to look up the knots I used for braid to mono for 100% strength (break tested by IGFA if I recall correctly). I can elaborate more and look up links if you have questions, but my breakfast just got here. Lol

Sent from my moto z4 using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App