Holland 8-9 pm

Kid Coulson and I fished from 7:15-10:00 pm.  Went 5-6 all kings with 2 nice ones, the bigger one weighing in at 25.7 lbs at the dock.  We fished 180-200 fow. Speed 2.3-2.6 at the ball - north troll was best.

What worked:

2-2 downrigger down 110&135 - 11" white uv paddle & poofster fly

3-3 downrigger down 105,85,95 mag flounder pounder RV

0-1 slide diver on 3 back 275 ft - hammer time spin doctor & green/glow fly

IMAG0267_1.jpg

• Like 5

Nice trip!  I can't get a fish on the large white paddle fly combo to save my life!

How far back behind the ball to you run the paddle/fly combo?

I washed it again last night out of Grand Haven...(ended 2/3 on meat, and spoons)

I've had trouble with other brands of paddle/fly combos but the one I've been running now for a few years has worked well.  I just double checked the setup and it's a Luhr-Jensen Coyote Flasher Size 003 (11") in double UV.  The best fly I've had on it is a Big Weenie Poofster fly tied about 42-inches back.

I run the same setup in the spring for coho when they're in deep water but I shorten the fly to a 36" lead and I'll also cut the treble off and cut off 1/2 to 1-inch of the fly.

I run it about 25 ft back (probably 20 to 30) because I just guess.  It's usually my deepest lure.  I'll run it just below the thermocline in the morning, and then as it gets light I'll drop it deeper - often about 30 to 40 feet below the temp break.

This picture shows the fly I use when coho fishing.

IMAG0803_1.jpg

I've been running it back behind the ball 20'-30', white crush on one side 'green' flour on the other with a white similar fly, deepest DR.

Must be the fish don't like my set up !!  I do fine with SD, meat etc...just can't get this particular set up to go.

Thanks for the info and pic!!!!

I rotated through 5 to 6 setups before I settled on this one.  I sold several of the other bigger paddles I had collected.

Does the one you're running have an agitator fin to make it spin?  The Coyote doesn't have a fin.  The fins do make them run differently.