We cleared the Black River at 0545hrs.  Taking stock of what the weather guesser forecast was we headed N/W and dropped in at 70fow, so much for that bright idea.  I went with Cory driving while his 13 year old son, Tristan, helped with the 4-CU lines while I did the 2 DR’s and 2 wire super sliders.  The young man did a fine job just like an older pro considering it was his first trip on the Big Lake chasing salmonoids.  Even though we went 3 for 9, all being greasers, we had a great time and introduced Cory’s son to the thrill of the fight with his 1st fish, a Laker.

Best water was 85-115fow, E&W @ 2.5sog.  The fish were scattered all over the water column, even caught a greaser on a 200x30 Cu. over 115fow.  The only downer of the morning was when a fish smashed my wire super slider with a Mountain Dew SD/meat rig, tangled with my 250x45 Cu and kept going, claiming the entire set up on the diver as his prize, minus 2’ of 50# braid below the Spro swivel.  The 2 busiest set-up were a Mixed Veggie on the 200x30 CU, 1-3, and my large crush glow Pro Troll and a Tomix fly off the DR’s down 65’, 2-4.

To all you weekend fishermen, good luck!!!!

Martin

image1.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, littleboat said:

Great experience for him. Great SMILE! You haven't been fishing unless you have a tangle or two. Tomix fly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Yeah, that burn-off on the diver was totally my fault.  The diver was set on 2 and that Cu board was a little too close to the boat so the diver was more than likely under the CU.  The F/F combo I had out was the same one I was using this spring, pictured in one of my earlier posts.  Since I tie all of my own trolling leaders I bought a large bunch of un-rigged flies from a gentleman in New York State, A-TOM-MIK.  Nothing against any fly tiers here in MI. but just thought I'd try something different.

Martin 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EdB said:

Great job getting him his first laker! He sure looks happy.

His dad had to prod him to get up and go out with us that early in the AM.  But now he's chomping at the bit to go again.  Just wish we had anchored one of those two jumping Steelies that hit that mixed veggie on that CU board.