Net Tug Down In Ludington

EdB

This is heck of a mess in Ludington. There is a video in the link.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/31135423/ludington-crews-work-to-remove-sunken-boat

"It just got overwhelmed by the weather and I wasn't here to catch it in time," said Levi Stone.

A fisherman is working with crews to try to remove his submerged boat. Right now, they think oil and hydraulic fuel are surfacing. The owner says he emptied the engine before parking the boat.

"There's always going to be a little bit of residual in the tanks when you do that it's not going to be one hundred percent dry unless you gas free it," said Christopher El-Cassabgui.

Now they'll try to stop further damage and get the boat out as quickly and safely as possible.

"Just been trying to mitigate the oil in the water from any more polluting the water and trying to get the boat up so we can get it out of the way," said Christopher El-Cassabgui.

However mother nature isn't on their side.

"The weather is definitely a challenge and the ice and like I said the ice on the back of the boat there is kind of weighing everything down and trying to get that out of there," said Christopher El-Cassabgui.

For now they put oil absorbing pads around the boat.

'"Just want everybody to know that we are trying as hard as we can to get everything done and out of the water without causing any further damage or pollution," said Christopher El-Cassabgui.

Leaving the owner thankful for the support he received.

"Unfortunately it's not the first time I've had to deal with the situation and if it was any other community in the world i would be less optimistic but people here in Ludington have always been really helpful," said Levi Stone.

As part owner of this boat, this disgusts me.  The DNR took our license money, bought out the commercial guys and handed over the gear to the tribal fisherman.  Then they set a stellar example by sinking boats at the docks (this is not the first time), losing nets, not pulling them on time, routinely blowing through quotas, and laundering several hundreds of thousands of pounds of illegally caught fish (some years nearly 20% of the catch) through "legal" agents.

Goid Ole Levi, was it a broken foot that kept you away from your boat, or the fact that you were in jail for buggering a minor?  These were explanations from his past screw ups...