My error, it was a 6.94 # steelhead. The gums were more white upon closer inspection. Had another hit 10 minutes later but it shook the lure loose. I thought things might break loose and I would get a few more, but that was not going to be the case. I was 2.5 sog on a nw troll. The lake was beautiful today. 1/2 on the scoreboard.

Maybe it was a coho with that combination of dark mouth and light gums. I know that steel heads typical have that square tail. The whiter gums and the way it ran along the side of the boat when I netted it, acted more like a steelhead, but i agree with you that tail is too forked for a steelhead. Thanks.

What length and type of boat?

16 1/2' Crestliner Sport Angler. I bought it used about 3 years ago. I installed all the electronics and even added an autopilot on it last year. I did all the rigging also. I think the only things I'm missing now are radar and missle launchers? Easy to one man launch and retrieve.

Still, catching fish requires knowing your species and the environment, but improving your setup makes it somewhat easier. I can put alot of rods on the boat, but only 3 in the water.

Right...I have a 16 smoker craft...use minkota power drive I pilot as my auto pilot.. if your looking for some really nice and cheap triple rod trees I had M.A.D. docks fabricate mine...they fabricate them from leftover dock alumimum. They were about a hundred dollars a pop. I got the bases so I can take them on and off.. i believe they make rocket launchers too

If you look a little underneath of the lower part of the helm wheel you will see my Raymarine Autopilot I install. The 6hp outboard is just incase my main motor stops. I have a troll plate, but never use it unless I really want to go real slow. With the boat in gear and the throttle back it trolls at about 1.9 to 2.3 sog. I use the I-pilot when I'm jigging or trolling for walleye on small rivers and lakes and want to keep the noise to a minimum.

FYI

Coho will not have very many spots on the tail - only a few near the top edge.

Steel will have lots of spots on the tail.

Also note that coho scales usually come off quite a bit once they are boated.

Either way nice fish!!

• 10 months later...