South Haven 5-23 (WMFL)

Fished the WMFL tournament this morning on 2 hours of sleep and went 6 for 8 and second place without falling asleep at the helm.

We started south in 60 fow and picked up a nice king then a long dry spell. Lots of fish on my graph. Tried different directions an speeds in 70 to 100 for before heading out to deeper water. Picked up a smaller king (4 lbs?) in 120 and missed a good king, missed a big laker on a meat rig, then got a laker in 130 for. It was 9:30 at this point and I decided to go steelheading. We pulled lines and reset in 190 fow. Found a temp break and quickly got 3 steelies.

What worked:

1-1 king 100 copper stingray dbl uv jagerbomb. 65 fow SW troll 2.2 mph

1-1 king 150 copper stingray dbl uv mixed veggies. 120 fow WNW troll 2.7 mph

0-1 king 300 copper silverstreak mag blue dolphin. 120 fow NNW troll 2.7 mph

0-1 laker size 1 diver with mag ring back 185 with green uv SD & green uv bw cutback rig. 120 fow NNE troll 2.2 mph

1-1 laker 200 copper stinger dbl uv mixed veggies. 130 fow WNW troll 2.7 mph

3-3 steelhead. Orange superslims. 3.6 to 4 mph. 2 color, 3 color, mono with 2 oz snap weight 50-50 method.

Thanks to Morgan's Tackle for sponsoring this event. I think it's time to break out the wallet and spool some reels with segmented coppers. I'm thinking of adding a set of steelhead segments with a 25, a 40, a 55, and a 70.

Nice job out there. I fished the same depths as most guys just didn't get the bites. Picked up a laker in 90 fow early am. Trolled NW out to 150. Picked up and moved out to 205. Picked up 2 small steel out there working the slicks. Think the fish were a bit further south of me.