Au Gres Rider a change up. 7-12-2014

It's been awhile since I fished BIG boards. I brought along 3 noodles full of harnesses and some 3 oz bouncers at the request of my host. When he tried to buy some 3 oz bouncers the place was out of them. He had never incorporated the down rods in his spread before but saw them in action on P1. The 3 oz bouncers on some down rods took 9 out of the first 11 fish and continued to perform beyond that. Considering there were two down rods and 8 board rods I'd say they impressed. Ya know I like my yeller Offshore boards with flag kits. We ended the day with 22 our biggest 5# and change. Hammered dirty copper and glow tiger were our best. 1.5 MPH and slower. 25-32 FOW. A nice day on the water in a better boat than mine.

It's surprising Frank just how many don't use down rods. I use them at the front of the spread and off to the side. Other guys I've seen go off the back and straight down. By going off the side my wife or kids can work a rod keeping them busy and in doing so work different speeds and depths with the harness. A lot of times it will clue me in to what I need to change with the overall presentation.

It's surprising Frank just how many don't use down rods. I use them at the front of the spread and off to the side. Other guys I've seen go off the back and straight down. By going off the side my wife or kids can work a rod keeping them busy and in doing so work different speeds and depths with the harness. A lot of times it will clue me in to what I need to change with the overall presentation.

I run mine off the sides also just slightly back of the trees. I like to play all my fish off the sides and not the back. The only time fish get netted off the back of mine is if the fish is involved in a tangle or other extreme circumstances.

On the boat I was on the only fish we could play off the sides was the down rods. There was a four pack of rod holders on both back corners for the board rods. The planer masts were back from mid ship and you could reach the tow line with your hands.

P1. Up in Au gres for the week. Headed out yesterday and went 0-0 water temps were in the low 60s? A guy from the Dnr was doing catch surveys at the launch and had 1 fish caught out of 10 boats! Think the fish headed to warmer water on the inner bay? We fished 4 miles southeast of the pt. I've never seen water this cold in July.

P1. Up in Au gres for the week. Headed out yesterday and went 0-0 water temps were in the low 60s? A guy from the Dnr was doing catch surveys at the launch and had 1 fish caught out of 10 boats! Think the fish headed to warmer water on the inner bay? We fished 4 miles southeast of the pt. I've never seen water this cold in July.

We had 61F on the surface one day last week right out front. I posted that in one of my reports. It's a result of the cold Winter and the Cool weather we are still experiencing. The Bay is chucked full of Walleye. All you have to do is find active fish and it's game on. Friday and Saturday we did ok. How deep were you?? It's a changing game. Last week we were fishing as shallow as 15. We were also fishing deeper. There is a lot of cold water coming down from Superior into Huron. With the right winds the Outer Bay gets cold fast. We fished the Inner Bay Fri and couldn't keep lines in the water. I'm sure the temp S of Pt Au Gres were warmer. I haven't fished since Sat. but will try and get out Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun. Look at the big moon. The fish are feeding all night. Sorry you didn't catch any. If you ran SE you were probably in real deep water. I sent you a PM with my phone #