Port Sanilac Shakedown

Shook down in Sanilac, plenty of water at the dock. 3 kings 4 cohos and a nice fat atlantic. Water was already 42/44. Fish were also caught in Lexington. Man felt good to see open water and rods in the water. Catching fish helps too.

Shook down in Sanilac, plenty of water at the dock. 3 kings 4 cohos and a nice fat atlantic. Water was already 42/44. Fish were also caught in Lexington. Man felt good to see open water and rods in the water. Catching fish helps too.

Nice Catch! What were your catching lure combinations? Did anyone get any browns in the area?

LB

East side really turning around on the spring bite. Much improvement in the last 4-5 years. The summer steelheading is notable as well.

How shallow were you in for the browns? I was in about 6', but I snagged when my lines went slack. Do you use the thin fish (Brad's)? Any browns on spoons?

LB

6 fow is just about right. Its my experience brads run typically too deep to fish in 6fow also they run horizontal in the water exposing the hooks to catch the bottom. That being said try small spoons on 1 color of lead or a small deep diving body bait on a short leader. Where the bill just Ticks the bottom kicking up sand. This can get expensive, try to use metal bill baits similar to those available for salt water fishing.

6 fow is just about right. Its my experience brads run typically too deep to fish in 6fow also they run horizontal in the water exposing the hooks to catch the bottom. That being said try small spoons on 1 color of lead or a small deep diving body bait on a short leader. Where the bill just Ticks the bottom kicking up sand. This can get expensive, try to use metal bill baits similar to those available for salt water fishing.

Thanks for the reply. I shall shorten up my leads and revisit my lure choices. Good luck on your fishing.

LB

Any cores in shallow water in thumb area waters are going to get you in trouble if you make severe turns....like you have to when you come up on rocky areas...or slow the boat down...if your going strictly for browns in thumb waters use F-11 rapapalas they dive somewhere between 2-6 feet depending on line test and speed and float if you come to a stop.....run your spoons on the riggers 2' to 10ft down with long leads 7-10 passes seem to work fine for me....last year plain silver stingers or silver with a blue or black strip on one side where hot...4ft down....and i even caught quite a few coho on the sliders on 6 ft riggers....yes a slider will run nicely on a rigger down 6-8ft!!! just make sure to give the rod a little slack and dont crank it right down. Don't get me wrong i still run alot of cores but you have to gas the boat when you come up on an unexpected hump, but i usually dont run any unless im going to be fishing 15ft or deeper....the short lead thing off the boards will work too but most of my browns come on the boards using leads of about 80 ft....14-16-18 passes on 27hs with 20lb line and 20 ft of 20lb florocarbon....oh and remove the front hook on any body bait that sports 3 hooks....it will save you alot of greif and lost fish.

Edited by Seawolf XI
sp