wire divers

The wire divers are one of the best set-ups on my boat. #1, they are a blast on a fish. You can feel the eyes twich on a fish, zero stretch, makes a 10lb king feel like a 30.

2nd, I believe that the vibration of the wire does attract in the fish.

3rd, my largest fish last year was on wire with kingflashers/twinkie/cut bait. Just an awesome program.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Spoonfed,

My wire divers are an important part of my set up when I'm trying to put kings in the boat. I like to run the wire up high on a 3 setting, with my braided dipsy's on a 1 setting closer to the boat. I agree with Mark that the wire itself has a different vibration through the water column that attracts fish. Also, when the fleas get really bad out there, they rarely stick to your wire the way they attach themselves to fireline or power pro. One bit of advice when running wire: I like to keep the drag a bit looser than normal. With zero stretch, sometimes a hard jerk is enough to rip that treble right out of a king's mouth. I have found that if you can keep that fish on your wire for the first 30 seconds or so when he takes that inital run, then he's all yours after that. Good Luck!

Like the two previous post I have to agree on the vibration of the line in the water. I also believe you get more and better lure action from a wire dipsey than a mono or super line dipsey. There is zero stretch to wire. When the boat rocks, the dipsey will rock with it. This gives your bait a jigging action. You do not have that kind of action with mono because of line stretch. You can also achieve depths of 100' plus.

A pair of wire line or copper line dipsey's should be in everyones arsenal.

so you run the wire to a dipsey, then do you run a wire leader to the spoon?

You want to run wire to the dipsey, then attach a mono leader to your bait. I recommend using a rubber snubber to absorb the shock of the dipsey, others will say you do not need it.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, wire dipsy's do not run as deep as braided dipsy's. I think the superline has less drag through the water and therefore runs a little more true and sinks faster. When running 2 sets of dipsey's off my boat I always have my braided lines set on 1 (low divers), and I run the wire above them on a 3 setting ( high divers). As far as reaching a certain depth, I usually go with the 1/3 rule. For instance: say you let your dipsy out 90' on a 1 setting, you more than likely will have that lure running down to a depth of around 30' to 40' depending on if it's a spoon or a rotater and fly. Hope this helps!

I don't have wire dipseys but I've fished them on several other boats. I completely agree that they work and they are fun to catch fish on. I don't have them because 1)so far I've been too cheap to buy them and 2)because I usually fish solo(usual program is 2 riggers and a particular mono dipsey rig that helps me read speed/current), or with my elem. age kids or my 82 year old Dad, that don't like to fight fish on that kind of heavier, more unforgiving(no stretch) tackle. I don't catch as many fish as most of you guys, but I can live with that.