Internet Speed and Connectivity

Recently I was experiencing a boat load of trouble connecting to sites etc. Charter has been increasing speeds all over it's network. I took my 8yo wired router out of the equation and voila. Here is my speed at about 7 AM. Smoking Fast.

http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/2523669635.png

I guess it was the weakest link thing in my case. I think it would behoove the service providers to make customers aware of changes and what may be needed on our end. Obviously the super fast internet was screwing with my older router.

Recently I was experiencing a boat load of trouble connecting to sites etc. Charter has been increasing speeds all over it's network. I took my 8yo wired router out of the equation and voila. Here is my speed at about 7 AM. Smoking Fast.

http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/2523669635.png

I guess it was the weakest link thing in my case. I think it would behoove the service providers to make customers aware of changes and what may be needed on our end. Obviously the super fast internet was screwing with my older router.

Charter is constantly changing and upgrading their systems, the newest is MAD (MI ALL Digital), I work for them. Look for even more increased speeds later on this year.:grin: It is recommended that you replace your router every 2 years to "keep current" or you can update via "firmware". They should have sent you a letter saying that your router was not current and that it needs to be replaced (I think this may only apply to Charter rentals, not 100% sure though)

Thanks for the pro tips. The router I pulled out of play is a NetGear RP614 v3. Is it possible a firmware download will revive it? I have a Charter provided Ubee modem and it seems to functions fine. The router belongs to me. If the old router is not capable of handling things is there any brands or models better than others?? A wireless would be nice for phones or my laptop that is on my boat in the garage. Does a router give you any security advantages? :)

Thanks for the pro tips. The router I pulled out of play is a NetGear RP614 v3. Is it possible a firmware download will revive it? I have a Charter provided Ubee modem and it seems to functions fine. The router belongs to me. If the old router is not capable of handling things is there any brands or models better than others?? A wireless would be nice for phones or my laptop that is on my boat in the garage. Does a router give you any security advantages? :)

The firmware update might revive it, but it depends on your computer and it's age and system. My laptop is now 6 years old, but still doing fine.

Cisco and Motorola are (2) great product names, as Joelsanders said, stay with a Docsis 3, just look on the outside of any product box to see if that's what the product is.

As far as securtiy of a router, yes and no to answer your question. If someone really wants to hack into your system, if they are good, then they will. Always stay current with any Microsoft updates and patches, and anti-virus and malware software.