lure speed/temp indicators

Im using 12lb. ball weights with the small fin and i get alot of blowback. Im gonna have to switch to a pancake or something else. Another thing is i use a cannon speed/temp. and it says what depth its at but there is quite a bit of a difference between what that says and what depth im marking it on my sonar screen. :confused:.

It says what depth its at but there is quite a bit of a difference between what that says and what depth im marking it on my sonar screen. :confused:.

Is there a way to calibrate it?

Is there a way to calibrate it?

Not that i am aware of at this moment, the manual is at my brother in laws house ill check it out but wich would be the right one to try and calibrate the speed/temp. probe or the sonar?

Im using 12lb. ball weights with the small fin and i get alot of blowback. Im gonna have to switch to a pancake or something else. Another thing is i use a cannon speed/temp. and it says what depth its at but there is quite a bit of a difference between what that says and what depth im marking it on my sonar screen. :confused:.

That is because sonar doesn't actually measure depth, it measures distance from the transducer. With the blowback and 80 feet of cable out, the sonar is still going to show the ball at approximately 80 feet (because that is the distance from the transducer) even though the ball is, in reality, significantly shallower than that.

The same thing is true about the fish we mark. If the fish is directly under the boat in the center of the transducer cone, it will be at the depth shown on the graph, if it is off to the side it is actually shallower than what is shown.

Tim

That is because sonar doesn't actually measure depth, it measures distance from the transducer. With the blowback and 80 feet of cable out, the sonar is still going to show the ball at approximately 80 feet (because that is the distance from the transducer) even though the ball is, in reality, significantly shallower than that.

The same thing is true about the fish we mark. If the fish is directly under the boat in the center of the transducer cone, it will be at the depth shown on the graph, if it is off to the side it is actually shallower than what is shown.

Tim

Great Points Tim!

Now if only I had a side finder Then I would know which side of the boat the shallower fish are on ;)