Connecting your GPS to your outboard

Connecting your engine to your GPS can provide you with much more information then just the traditional gauges on your dash. It can alert you of problems well before any lights or alarms, automatically keep track of the rate and how much fuel your using, also all the information that you normally see then a on gauges which is especially helpful if you only have room for 3 or 4 gauges.

Most engines 2006 or newer are capable of this although some are much easier and less expensive then others. Honda, Evinrude, Yamaha and Suzuki in most cases only need a cable and can be acomplished for under $100 (plus NMEA backbone about $50 if you dont have one). Mercury requires smartcraft and if you dont already have it is about $600, if you have smartcraft its just a cable again.

Here is an example of what it looks like on a Lowrance but this can be done on any NMEA 2000 compatible device witch is any HDS, Most Garmins, Most raymarines with seatalk adapter, and most Humminbirds 700 series or better

PRODUCT-LowranceHDS10.jpg

Below is a list of infomation provided by each engine

HN2K_zps72c901a6.png

MN2K_zpsf0772f29.png

SN2K_zps570c5025.png

EN2K_zpsbee35514.png

YN2K_zps8a16021f.png

Morning Ryan;

I have a 2006 Yamaha 115 and have been interested in this concept for awhile. I asked my tech guy that has been doing all of my electronics and he wasn't familiar with the system.

My console unit is a Humminbird 898. I have a the iLink and and also the hub with an extra spot. Is it an option for my set up?

Thanks for posting.

Paul C.

Yes all you would need is the NMEA 2000 gateway which will plug into that extra spot on your I command hub. Ill post a part number when I get home later tonight.

The best way to go in this case is aftermarket. Maretron sells a cable (MARE-003) for about $95 that will do what you want it to do. If you want OEM the gateway module is $235 and does less then the Maretron cable

The best way to go in this case is aftermarket. Maretron sells a cable (MARE-003) for about $95 that will do what you want it to do. If you want OEM the gateway module is $235 and does less then the Maretron cable

Is that something that could be done in Eau Claire with Maretron cable?

Thank you for your response.

Paul C.

I don't actually work at the store, I'm franks son living down in TN. From what I understand that location isn't really working out. But you can call frank and see if there is something you can work out.

Do you already have a nmea 2000 network?

I don't actually work at the store, I'm franks son living down in TN. From what I understand that location isn't really working out. But you can call frank and see if there is something you can work out.

Do you already have a nmea 2000 network?

Not sure what that is. Unless it is something downloaded with a software update on the sonar/gps unit, I'm sure I don't.

Paul C.

• 1 month later...

for more information on the NMEA 2000 Network you can visit

http://www.nmea.org/

great source for accurate up to date information on just about any thing to do with marine electronics

Calumet Marines Eau Claire location has not been working out as a service center

for now at least we have modified it to be a boat storage and drop off center

There is a pick up and drop off charge for service that is being done in our Chicago location It was just too hard to maintain or quality level with out ALL our tools and equipment on site

eventually our goal is to close down the Chicago location and at that point move all our needed service equipment to the Michigan location. This will allow us to maintain the highest level of standards our customer have come to expect from calumet marine

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ryan (hondam) for helping out with these technical question his passion for fishing boating has driven his knowledge of technical aspects of our sport to levels that far exceed the above average marine mechanic and electronics installers

not only do we miss Ryans Mechanical/electronics skills @ the store here

THE FISH ON LAKE MICHIGAN ARE CATCHING A HUGE BREAK !!!

dodgerbite5.jpg