Canvas color fade

Hey guys, my dark green canvas top is seven years old and is now a dull light green that looks terrible. I'm thinking of using a dye such as RIT and rubbing it in while the top is installed to try and make it easier to see the results as I go.

The top is still in great shape and I only have 1 vinyl window to work around. The boat is always stored in the warehouse when not on the water.

Am I on the right track or does someone have any experience bringing the color back to a faded top?

Thanks for any and all input,

Dave

Hi Dave, regarding canvas, just so you know, there are many makes and materials, they are all a little different too. I would check with the mfr. of that, and see what their recommendations are first. Applying a dye, while sounding good, may make the canvas stiff, non-pliable in the future. It could even destroy the water repellent qualities, and we don't want that either. Depending on the size and make of boat, sometimes the boat mfr. has made improvements and can recommend a replacement now direct or from a dealer too. Just saying, not a time to rush since we have time before fishing starts anyhow. And unless you are in a heated garage, not to do in the cold before it's over maybe 60-65 degrees. Good luck.