J-plug harness

joelsanders

Sorry I thought he was asking what kind of knot was used on the J plug harness. I would go with a snell and a single hook if I had to choose. A snell knot will track better as far as how straight the hook will stay in relationship to the bait tracking. Same as what is tied on crawler harness and live bait rights to give it a natural look.

I like to use the Surgeons’ Loop Knot when I make the Dacron section of the harness.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloop/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I too prefer to use a single treble hook. I make the loop length between the beaded chain, (I also use a #5 or #6 split ring) so the treble hook barbs are about 1/4 of an inch behind the tail of the plug. Making the harnesses this way pretty much eliminates hook swing wear marks on the plug body. The other advantage is you get a short leader to help guard against abrasion from the fish's teeth.

I also use one of the super braid lines in 100# rating, it's thinner and stronger than Dacron.

I don't run J plugs much but my setup is simple A bead chain with a split ring to the hook then 20in of 40lb flouro leader to a second bead chain now you can use that hook setup on every plug. That is my single hook setup for double hooks I snell to Owner hooks on 20 in of 40lb flouro leader and run a bead chain at the end. WHen a fish hits the plug body slide up and nothing but hooks in the fish.