New Member with a question

Hello

I have been reading and learning quite a bit on this site. My wife and I are new to boating and fishing. We have just purchased a 1995 Starcraft Islander 221V. Inboard 4.3L mercruiser and 15 HP kicker. Learning how to drive/handle a boat this size and outfit it also. We looked for several years at different sizes and makes of boats. We wanted a safe larger water boat that was capable of handling southern Lake Huron and the St. Clair River waters. The decision and purchased was made.

Question:

I would like to place an anchor on the bow. There is a an anchor rope storage place up front but no where for anchor storage. I was thinking of an electric winch and anchor storage right on the bow with controls to deploy and retrieve at the helm. But this is where my navigational lights are. Even if I place the anchor off to one side at the bow the anchor interferes with my nav lights . Any thoughts?

Thanks

Patio

Thanks for the quick responses. After reading your suggestions and seeing your avatar (Paulywood) the idea occurred to me that I may be able to relocate my bow nav lights up on the bow stainless steel railing just above the proposed location for the anchor. Simple enough.

Flyman013, what brand of electric anchor winch do you have and are you satisfied with the quality and operation of the winch?

Good ideas.

Patio

Hi Frank

Thanks for the welcome. I looked quite some time for a hard top. The ones I found were beat or more $$$ than I wanted to pay. Nice boat you have there. I hope to catch half the fish you have. Continue your success.

Patio

Flyman013, what brand of electric anchor winch do you have and are you satisfied with the quality and operation of the winch?

Good ideas.

Patio

I think it is a Powerwinch 25. Not sure if they make them anymore, but I bought it used. I think it is good quality. All the motor and gear components and mounting frame are metal. I can't remember which one I looked at new, but the gear box was plastic and you are just asking for trouble with that. It is a power up and power down. I don't care for the power down feature, but that is my only complaint. Good luck!

Hi Frank

Thanks for the welcome. I looked quite some time for a hard top. The ones I found were beat or more $$$ than I wanted to pay. Nice boat you have there. I hope to catch half the fish you have. Continue your success.

Patio

I looked a long time also. I actually owned two Islanders that I bought a couple of weeks apart. Long story!!!!!!!! I had to do a lot of work to the rigging on mine. The only thing decent on mine when I bought it was the paint and the name.:) The price was right and I fished it as is the first year and did a`lot of work the following two Winters. The best thing I did was fabricate a pair of four rod trees for the sides. The trees make a tremendous difference running boards.:)