the best batteries i,ve used are the optima blue top ones. but they cost so darn much. the last couple i,ve bought have just been wall mart brand. they seem to be good ones, and less than half the price of optimas.

sherman

There are only a few battery manufacturers in this country. As long as the ratings are the same there isn't much difference. I just replaced my 7 yo Wally World battery with a new one from there this Spring. $90 and change including the governors tip.

Putting a trickle charger on them once a month through the off season helps with the longevity. My boat is always in the garage and stays above freezing all Winter.

Nice tips on batts. Frank, you hit the nail on the head. Longevity is everything. Now then, the best batts. for me are deep cell, the bigger your boat, the more room for twins, or even twins per engine, and yes, get that batt. switch, perko's are still only about $25, and will help a lot for changing and charging purposes. If the boat is big enough, a marine batt. charger is also suggested, if you have the funds, they are expensive, but worth the $$. If your batts. are over 3 years or older, time to change out. Being frugal here can cost you a tow in, a USCG warning/citation, or worst of all, untimely death at sea, don't be cheap, your life is priceless.