Fowler High School Charter Trip 2012

At 0345 today 19 sleepy students from my Environmental Science class loaded a bus and headed to Grand Haven for a morning of GL fishing. The forecast was dead right for a change (thanks NOAA) and a stiff breeze greeted our arrival at Chinook Pier. We boarded 4 charter boats and headed to the big water to put our studies of fish species and anatomy to practical use!

Confused seas and building waves from a northerly wind had a few kids looking for the exits early, but the fish were at least slightly cooperative! No true pattern emerged with fish coming on long coppers, divers, riggers and short cores. 60 to 140 fow held fish. When we headed in with waves approaching 4', the boats had boxed a total of 40 fish--including a GL Slam! Everyone got on fish, and the boat with the class' 5 female students took top honors going 13 of 14!

The students were amazed by the experience--especially how efficiently the cleaning process went in the pit at Chinook Pier! Even those with a little green around the gills agreed the discomfort was worth the opportunity to enjoy the highlight of the school year.

Special thanks to Capt. Brett of the Hot Spot, Capt. Matt of the No Limits, Capt Butch of the Devildog and Capt Chris of the Hillbilly for their efforts in making this an affordable, enjoyable and memorable trip for these high school students!

Tomorrow's lesson plan: Filleting and grilling GL salmonids!

but this is also one of the highlights of the year for me as well! And the ONE sure way that I get on LMI before July the past few years!

Filleting lessons today and the grilled salmon beat the popcorn chicken from the cafeteria! HA!

I would ask that those of you who "wish" that you school, or kid's school would do something like this--try to be the reason that your kid's class gets a chance to go on a trip like this. Many of you know captains...who know captains...that could also make a trip like this happen. I started by asking one captain--Curtis (THE Purple Taco) who got a group of his buddies together and got us started. We've had several different captains join the effort over the past few years and all have been most gracious and have given the kids their all in providing a great learning experience.

Talk to your kid's teachers and see who would be motivated to make this work. Fundraising can be an issue, but can be solved--if there's a will there's a way! The result is MORE than worth the effort! It's the best way for the students to learn about the resource and much easier to connect concepts like water quality, invasive species and economics of the GL fishery when they've experienced this.

Let me know if you need any help selling the idea to teachers or administrators. I'd be happy to help!

Thanks Nick! It was kids like you that drove me to get them outside as much as I could--that way i could hide from you guys! LOL!

If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by and see what I've done to the place. I think you'll find it much different than you remember.