I made the trip solo for the first troll this year. Lines in at 7:45. Sat down in 45 feet of water straight out from the pier and a touch South. Picked up a shaker and threw it back. Shortly after I had one of my most memorable fights thus far. Hooked a 12lb king on a SS double orange crush on the downrigger 37 down in 47 feet of water. Got it up to the boat and it took off towards my dipsey line, so I thumbed the spool and pulled hard trying to turn him. My rod snapped in half in a failed effort. Oops. He still got tangled. I winched him and the dipsey line in as close as I could with my 3 foot rod, and eventually ended up hand lining the king the last few feet and gilled him for my one and only keeper catch. No other hits all day.

It sounded like most were struggling in close. I heard good reports coming from 120 feet. I worked my way out to 90 with no other hits. I tried stick baits, 000 dodgers peanut flies, spoons, about everything I had in the box. Water temp was about 48 to even 49 in the mud, and about 45 in the clear.