4/4/12, Lake Erie, Fishing Report

I'll be heading out tomorrow for a stint on Erie. Hopfully I'll have something to report on.

Capt. Mike Veine

Look forward to it Mike :thumb: Experienced some good fishing on Erie waters on Sunday, and from everything else I've heard and read I'd be willing to bet you get into some pretty good fishing:grin: Good luck

all the reports i,ve been getting its hog heaven right now. they are getting then good with jigs in shallow water and also knocking them dead trolling between the cans. so be sure and post your results.

sherman

I got back out on Lake Erie today and we ran out into Ohio waters (15 miles) and got into some awesome fishing. Our biggest fish was ten pounds and we took limits by noon. Then we went to Michigan waters and did some fishing there to fill out our Michigan limit. We started out trolling and also did some jigging too. Both were productive. When you can do both, it makes the day a lot more fun I'll be running trips daily out of Monroe until the weather turns sour.

Capt. Mike Veine

Our hot bait today trolling was a gold/black (with green glitter) Jr. Thunderstick pulled 65' behind the Church Tackle Walleye Boards with 3/8 ounce of weight 5' ahead of the bait. We trolled at about 1.0 to 1.5 mph surging with the waves. We moved to the reef and started jigging when the wind died down and the trolling bite slowed. We really hammered them jigging with a chrome Lazer Eye Blade Bait. One of my customers really caught on quickly and he was pulling up fish non-stop. Here's a photo of a spawned out female we took. Some of the females were egg laden, while others were post spawn.

IMG_7526.JPG

What a difference a day makes. The weatherman predicted two foot waves, but when I got out on the lake this morning, the waves were a steady four footers with some fives. We turned around and didn't even wet a line. The weather is suposed to be nice tomorrow, hopfully they will get it right this time.

Capt. Mike

we fished yesterday after work till dark out front crane creek 1 short of our 5 man limit jigging came in in four footers hopefully it is nice sat going to take a break from jigging and try for some big ones trolling

The jigging bit out by Turtle Island was terrible today. It blew very hard yesterday with 4-5 footers and it really riled it up there. We tried jigging there this morning and only took one small fish in two hours. We then went to a trolling program and picked up five big walleyes along with some small fish too. The trolling bite was also tough and it really died when the wind switched in the afternoon. The trolling bite is transitioning from a stick bait bite to a crank bait bite. Had I figured that one out earlier day, I think we would have done better. Our best lures today were #7 Shad Raps and Rattling Shad Raps in Shad patterns.

Capt. Mike Veine