happy troller

I've used 2 products in the past with my 70hp Johnson 2 stroke outboard (salmon, trout, and walleye trolling)......an aluminum Happy Troller and a plastic product purchased at Cabelas (can't remember the brand name) which had the trolling plate + a hydrofoil. Both products only lasted about 2 seasons each. You really have to pay attention and be careful not to damage these. Both products did not hold up well.....the aluminum ripped apart and the plastic one pulled a pin out and broke one side of the plastic where the pin is inserted (the pin should have broke clean). I ended up changing the pitch on my prop and using 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom to slow me down. The trolling plates were more of pain than the good they provided. Yes, they slowed my boat down, but I would never buy another one.

Bags... No doubt about it. Not only do they slow you down, but they also help stabilize the side to side rocking motion when you get into a chop a little sideways. I'd never be without them.. just my .02..