St Joe 3/10 & 11

EdB

I fished the river on Saturday down from Berrien Springs by myself. Had a slow start, I hit and lost 2 and that was it by noon. Kept dropping downstream and was coming to a stretch I really like. Hit and lost the 3rd fish of the day, then the 4th and 5th. That was a hot stretch of water. I just couldn't get them in the boat, 0 for 5 so far. I had lot's of good water to cover and I finally got one in the boat by 1:00pm. Dropped downstream and then lost my 7th fish on of the day.

I had a bad day for snags and busted spawn bags and lost way more spawn bags then I usually do and I was down to my last two bags with 2 good holes ahead. Put a fresh bag on and launched it, drifted down and fish on! Landed that one and put on my last spawn bag. Dropped back to the next hole and started a drift. Wham, fish on again! I land that one to get 3 in the boat. I'll always remember this fishing trip with an ending like that even though the fish kicked my butt! They were hot and jumping with water temps coming up. The run on the lower Joe is going to peak this week with the weather ahead.

Today 4 of us hit the pier. Started hitting fish right away and we had 14 by 10:30 and then it died. Stayed till noon but never had another hit. It was a mixed bag of coho's, whitefish and browns. All on steelie skein wraps fished on the bottom. My pier and river fishing is going to wind down and it'll be time to get the boat out soon. It has been a great winter season this year with the milder temps and lot of fish. Good Luck!