Actual reel capacity

I have made a real line counter for filling reels and can't be leave how off the reels are. The counters measures 1 foot for every 1 foot of line that goes on. With that being said so far 2 reels have not lived up to there rated capacity. This creates a big problem when trying to fill the reels to there capacity and getting it right. The last one I filled was 20 lb big game which is .018 and should be according to the reel 420yds 1260 feet. I had to cram 1000 feet on this reel. Are the numbers on the reels just estimates?

I will be posting more pictures when I am done as the reel station is still a prototype and having changes done to it .

I would really dislike having to fill reels backwards just to find out the real capacity ,then having to transfer the line to the other reel . But it would only have to be this way once for each type of reel I have.

m_dscn0126.jpg

m_dscn0132.jpg

m_dscn0140.jpg

Reels counters are always way off until you fill them close to their capacity. I like what you have there. It should make filling reels very efficient.:thumb:

I think real capacity can vary because of the way they are spooled. Different people may spool differently. Some get wrapped tighter than others. As you stated the capacity charts on these reels can be off some also.

:thumb:Nice set up!

Got a question on your rig. I built something similar. Where did you get the tapered parts to to into the spools.

I turned them on one of my lathes. being that all the spools are different it was the only way . I had looked at Ace hardware and other places and I couldn't find any cone washers.

The unit on my saw table is just the prototype , the counter is just loose right now. I cut a shallow grove in the counter on the lathe also so I didn't have to put sides on the the counter wheel .

The reel in the photo holds 1000 feet of line , less than what is listed on the reel but more that enough for a rigger rod.

The spool for despooling mono I also made on the lathe . it would be lower left in the photo. I have to make that bigger , it only takes 2 full reels to fill it up.

It does work great for putting new line (backing ) on leadcore rods.