Lower Unit issues

I dropped a 7 color core into my prop during the Dreamweaver. I finally had time to fix it last weekend. I ended up replacing all the seals in the lower unit. When I bolted it back together it leaked around the prop shaft. This morning I reseated the seals and they seem to be holding fine. But when I put air into it there is still a leak. I used soapy water but wasn't able to find out where the leak is. Is there anywhere else I should look before taking it back off? Could it be leaking back through the external reservoir now? I was thinking of taking it up to Higgins and running it for a short trip before checking the fluid again. It doesn't hold air at all so that is what has me thinking about the remote reservoir. Maybe I should seal up the cap on it and try air again?

• 1 month later...

finding a leak in a verticle drive assembly is as easy as finding a leak in a tire

oil has to be drained drive should hold 15psi of air pressure

we have a little hand pump that we pump up to 15 lbs let it set a little whiile gauge should not move

if it does we start spraying all the seals and shift shaft with soapy water

a good seal is only good on a good shaft surface porperly tourqued components

some times line can ruin not only seals but the arera od a shaft the seal rides on

Frank

calumet marine

i,ve never had a boat untill now that had the external reservoir. but i could see the air going out that way. because as far as i can tell the fluid free flows up to the reservoir. so there shouldnt be anything to stop the air from going out that way. you could get a plug and take the line loose from your outdrive and put the plug back in the hole, just untill you tested the lower unit.

sherman

sherman

you are correct with the drive still on the boat air will come out the reseviour

as soon as the drive comes off their is a check valve that seals the drive

sory i assummed you had the drive removed from boat working on it

also a common place they leaK IS THE UJOINT SHAFT SEAL YOU ALSO HAVE TO HAVE THE DRIVE OFF TO BE ABLE TO INSPECT THIS AREA FOR LEAKS