those were the days

i had to make a trip to tenn. and im just sitting here all alone and started thinking of old times.

i remember when i first started fishing lake michigan. it was very important to get 4 riggers on the boat. and the bigger boats ran atleast 6 riggers and i seen some with 8 riggers.

i dont fish lake mi. any more as im a diehard erie fisherman. but i hear about and see boats with 2 and maby 3 riggers, and some with none at all. then you still have just a few of the old diehards with 4 riggers.

i was hoping some of you guys would enlighten me, as to when the big change took place, and your replacements that you use now instead of the riggers.

i think this will be an interesting thread if you guy will share with me. and you dont have to worry about giving up any secrets about how and what catches fish. just your normal spread. i would just like to know how its done today, for my info only. thanks alot in advance guys.

sherman

I don't know when the change took place but the replacements are long lines (leadcore and copper). I catch a majority of my fish on my leadcore/copper setups and have days when the downriggers don't go at all. I've heard that a lot of it has to do with water clarity after the zebra mussles came.

water cleared up and had to go to other means of fish catching tools, most every single charter in manistee has 3 riggers, some have 4, we have 3 and one we use only for a probe rigger. I know when the rigger bite is on i wish we had 6, but most days its 3 early in the morning and i will be down to just two by the days end.

I think everyone posting pretty much covered the reasons for the decrease in riggers. I am from the old school too, and I still agree with Frank, keep those rigger options open, there have been many days when the fish are deep, real deep, like 100'-175' down, and the only easy way to get there is the downrigger yet. Wish they had bigger cannon balls than 14#, that's the biggest I've found.

I think everyone posting pretty much covered the reasons for the decrease in riggers. I am from the old school too, and I still agree with Frank, keep those rigger options open, there have been many days when the fish are deep, real deep, like 100'-175' down, and the only easy way to get there is the downrigger yet. Wish they had bigger cannon balls than 14#, that's the biggest I've found.

have you ever tried the 13 lb pancake weights?? i use them and dont seem to get near as much blowback as with the balls. or do you just not like them?? some people say they have problems with them. i just bend the fins out just alittle on my out down, and mine spread out real good.

sherman

We have 4 riggers on our boat, and they continue to be our best producer by far. Sure we catch fish on copper, lead, and dipseys...but riggers still outshine the rest. If they aren't working for you, keep changing things up to get them to fire.

Try these 15.5 lb torpedos from Atommik. I have had them down over 200' without issue. They track great and really minimize blowback.

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/ttw.htm

Tim

i had great luck with my 2 riggers last year over on erie. things did work out to where i have my 4 electric big jons with auto stops this year. im planning on trying to wear them all 4 out next month.

just to much old school in my blood. if 2 worked good 4,s got to be better. i dont know if thats a question or a statement. but next month i,ll find out the answer. or will i??

so far i have enjoyied all the coments. keep em comin