Alum. Boat painting

Anyone do it?? Done it?? Recomend someone that does?

After some bashing at the dock from Sixshooter about the messed up paintjob on my boat, I figued I would at least price out how much it would be to get the boat re painted.

Hey Dave

I have done it before on my 18,Mv jon boat. I bought all the material from the boat dealer I bought the boat from. For aluminum after you strip the old paint off or most of it as some was stuck on good. there is a primer you use and it is not like regular primer. It is more like an adheasive and has no color. It is acutually tacky. Then the paint I used wich was sent right from sylvan was green but it was about the consitancy of water. It went on and stuck to the primer and is very durable. I am on my 8th season with that boat with that paint job and the outside of the boat looks great. The inside I redo every couple of years as it get beat up from fishing equipemnt duck decoys etc. but it takes a pretty good beating and does not just come right off with ease. Depending on the aluminum boat you have you might just want to contact the manufacturer and buy it right from them or have a dealer do it for you. I rolled the adheasive on with a roller and I rolled on the paint over it . You can spray it but even thought the paint is like water,once it hits the air it dries very fast.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

If you strip the boat , you will need to neutralize any stripper that is left and wash down the entire hull. You will either apply a Epoxy coating or a wash-primer, then you can paint over that. W/O the primer the paint will delaminate over time. Its very similar to painting a car or an aircraft. You can buy the materials at a paint jobber, where your local body shop will buy there material.

I have worked in a bodyshop for the last 26 years , I will guess that the primer Joe is talking about is a conversion coating and then he applied a wash type primer over that.