Fished north out of south haven in waters from 65 to 80fow. Left peir heads at 6:00am. Went 9/11 mostly on riggers with blue bubble spinny and Gotcha Flies down between 45 to 55. Full cores worked with double crush glow spoons. It was a perfect morning and it was packed with boats.

Good work--wish I could've made it that morning, too.

We fished S. Haven the evening of 9/3 about 1.5mi north of the piers between 90 and 120fow. Set lines at 6:30pm, went 4-7; all kings, 2 of them larger than 13lbs. We had 1 full core that I couldn't get going, a half core with black/white jointed rapala had two hits(boated one), two dipsys I couldn't get going, and two riggers with free sliders set 60 and 50 down. The down lures were white lyman lures that boated 3 of the 4 fish. A orange free slider took one hit early in the evening. Good fishing! :D

I was working to try to get the flies going again. I never got a hit on a fly(again). I was trying them behind dipsys and a full core. Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong that I can seem to get fish off of flies?:confused:

Thanks!

I was working to try to get the flies going again. I never got a hit on a fly(again). I was trying them behind dipsys and a full core. Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong that I can seem to get fish off of flies?:confused:

How far behind the spinner are you running your flies? Most people run them 18-24" behind the spinner.

SG. . . I've never heard of running flies off of core!?!?! Spinnies and flies are mostly use on dipseys, but I have had them produced on riggers also. With that said, they have never been the top producer for me, but here are some resources:

http://www.luhrjensen.com/techreports/13DodgersFlashers.pdf

http://www.fishresource.com/basics/flashers.asp

Also, you s/b adding some J-Plugs to your arsenal this time of year.

Alex

Thanks for all of the tips. My 'normal' setup is to run a 2'-3' leader between the fly and flasher/spinny. The spinny/flasher is then 4'-6' behind the ball or dipsy. I'll modify my setups my next trip out(maybe Thursday night) based on the advice here. :)

I do fish j-plugs alot this time of year. I also really like lyman lures this time of year. They are exactly like j-plugs, only made of cedar instead of plastic. The action of the lyman lures seems to be much more eractic than that of the j-plugs. They are a bit more expensive though :( j-plugs/lymans are my preferred setup this time of year, hopefully followed by flies/flashers in the near future:D

Go to http://www.lymanlures.com for more info on them. If you're going to buy just one to try it out, I would recomend the all white with red head color. Also, my personal experience is not to run them quite as far behind the ball as you would a j-plug. They move horizontally in the water quite a bit more, which caused me tangle issues.

Thanks again for all of the advice!! I appreciate the help!! :D