Help with boat horn.

My horn doesn’t work. My boat has two trumpet type horns. Two wires go from the switch to the horns. Both horns are connected to the wires coming from the switch. When I push the switch I hear a clicking noise from the horns trying to work. Both horns work by their self, if I connect only one at a time. But when I connect both, I get the clicking noise again. It seems like I’m not getting enough power to make both horns blow at the same time. Is that possible? I don’t know a thing about horns.

This boat is a new to me boat so I don’t know for sure that they ever worked properly. I do know that those horns are not original factory horns for my boat.

I need some suggestions on how to make them work correctly.

Thanks!!!

It's funny that you post this bcause I had the same exact thing when I got my boat last fall. I found out that one of the horns (there were three on) had been added. When I took it off, the original 2 worked fine. I would check and see if it looks like one/both were added latter and maybe take one off. The only reason that I can come up with that they wouldn't run is that they are not able to draw enough current to start the motors in them. This could be caused by a low charge in the battery or too much resistance in the circuit. If your battery is fully charged I would try to trace the wires and see if there is any sort of resistor or anything that would be lowering the current.

Edited by BenLubbs
spelling

Boat horns, I HATE them. they get water in them and are toast. I put a new one on four years ago and mine is shot again. tested with another horn for my buddys boat and swith and power are fine. So i decided not to buy another one for 40 bucks and instead got a handheld electric horn from cabelas. 20 bucks and i am legal. Doesn't sound like a boat horn but this thing is louder than my boat horns have ever been. As often as i have needed it i decided this was the better route. I think the only time i ever really used it was during a courtesy exam from the Coast Guard.

here is a link to the horn i am talking about:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Innovative-Lighting-Electric-Handheld-Horn/700627.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1100515%26Ne%3D1100515%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhorn%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dhorn&Ntt=horn&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Boat horns, I HATE them. they get water in them and are toast. I put a new one on four years ago and mine is shot again. tested with another horn for my buddys boat and swith and power are fine. So i decided not to buy another one for 40 bucks and instead got a handheld electric horn from cabelas. 20 bucks and i am legal. Doesn't sound like a boat horn but this thing is louder than my boat horns have ever been. As often as i have needed it i decided this was the better route. I think the only time i ever really used it was during a courtesy exam from the Coast Guard.

I had the same problem with my electric boat horns. Electric horns SUCK! I swapped mine out with a set of Wolo air horns that are louder than hell. My 28 foot boat sounds like a large motor yacht. Comes in handy when you get inconsiderate boaters, or jet skiers that cut close in front of you in the channel. Gets there attention.:grin:

Two years ago I restored a boat that came with similar horns, after spending a significant amount of time tryint to fix it I gave up and spent a few buck on a new horns. If I had to do it over again I would have saved myself the time and hassle of trying to fix the old stuff and just gone new.