Wire Line...Single Strand vs. Braided

Well wire is hot. Seems like you have to have it and I have heard it almost always takes the largest kings on the boat.

Back in NJ I ran single strand Monel wire for trolling lake trout with thumper rigs. It worked so I figured why change it. So now at this point I have three wire line rods....all spooled with single strand monel wire.

Since 95% of guys use braided, I was wondering if my setup's were considered old technology or offered less advantages than braided wire.

I talked to a few people and it seems to be a personal preference but I'm curious what you guys think.

Thanks.

I have two wire setups that I use to run my dipsies. One is single strand while the other is braided. I wondered the same thing when I first ran then, so I messed around with both setups to see if either produced better in certain areas of the water column. I found it didn't matter, both catch fish with equal success. The single does take more space on the reel, and is less flexable.

I agree with the personal preference idea. When the single strand gets to short I will replace it with the braided wire.

A lot of Great Lakes guys will run 7 strand wire on there low (inside) divers, and Braid on the out divers.

We run wire on all 4 of our divers. I like wire a lot. It resist the sea fleas much better than braid and gets deeper.

Well I'm working on a budget guys.

I have two 30 series Okumas that I will be running the #30 BloodRun wire and one Diawa SeaLine 47 series reel. Now the rods are another story...I purchased some discontinued Luhr Jensen wire line, roller guide rods last year at $30 a piece and have one shorter custom rod I had made for laker fishing in NJ. While longer rods might have been preferred, since I run the wire divers inside of the braid divers, I opted for shorter 7 foot rods. We'll see how it works out.

I think you will be fine with the shorter rods but would be worried about the roller rods. I have had terrible luck with the less expensive brand of rollers. The construction allows the wire to jump off the roller and catch on the frame. This results in a break off. As far as wire, I never run backer. I put a full spool of wire on my reels. I have been out over 500' on my wire rods before and don't like to have any extra connections that could possibly fail.

After much talk and consideration, I'm switching all three reels over to #30 BloodRun stainless steel braided wire.

That being said, how are you guys connecting your braided wire to backing or the wire to a swivel?

Don't bother with backing. 1000' per spool/reel.

The best knot to use is an overhand loop. Thread the loop through the swivel hole, and bring the swivel back through the loop. Like this.

img_9869.jpg

Before pulling tight.

img_9873.jpg