Better Tasting Fillets

MY2SONS

I noticed a few guys showing coolers full of fish, and none of them bled the fish out. I've found that before you put your catch in the cooler cut the fish's throat just behind the gills to get a good blood flow.:P This will allow the fish to bleed out before you get back to the fish cleaning station. Your cooler will get pretty messy, but the fillets are a lot nicer, cleaner, and in my opinion taste better since there's no blood in them.:no: Just wanted to offer it up for you to try.:thumb:

a handful of boats over here actually gut and gill their fish as soon as they are caught. I notice a huge difference in meat quality when the fish are cleaned immediately vs sitting in a cooler all day. That is how most commercial fishing operations do it.

I too had been doing this up until this year when i realized running trips by myself, there was just too many other tasks that prevailed trying to catch fish in a limited amount of time. It also makes the boat messier and i had never accomplished getting my wash down set up working properly.