Marine Radio

BRIAN0214

Back in the 1980's when I was fishing out of Diversey Harbor in Chicago we had a channel on the marine radio constantly updating us of the weather and the wave height. My dad always had this on in the boat to help stay out of bad weather coming our way out in the water. It saved us a few times weather can change quickly out in the lake. I really could of used that here in Grand Haven yesterday. We started out in 1-2 foot waves and in 3 hours I am trying to get back to shore in 4-6 foot waves not fun! I looked at the weather report before we left and the small craft advisory was suppose to be lifted in the afternoon! So I figured the 1-2 footers would not get worse. I guess that was wrong. So I ask is there anything like that here in Grand Haven in the year 2010. If not what do you guys do to remain on top of the weather out on the big pond?

Geeze, that would be nice. One would think in todays modern world that we could have great access to that information. A couple of buoys scattered across the lakes really do not do me justice to where I fish. Real time info would be great. I know my marine radio will jump to the weather channel when serious weather is approaching which is a great thing, but it usually doesn't jump in on wave height increase.

on my lowrance hds fish finder gps i have the sirius weather module and it is all real time weather. you can set up alerts on it so when things are changing it alerts you. I can see almost everything on it. the thing missing in the great lakes is the wave height on the gps screen in real time. For the Oceans they have it just not the great lakes yet. It does have what is called marine zones and when there is a change in the marine zone that you are fishing it lets you know. I have picked up rain storms before my buddy with the new top of the line radar from ray jeff couldn't see yet. They are to be putting up a new satellite in the next couple years and they are saying when that happens you will be able to get real time wave height also right on the gps screen. it also has lightening alarms that sound when lightening is heading your way and 15 miles out. i know some ray jeff units and furuno units have the sirius available for their units also.