Late season fishing

jgaul

I've been doing well this fall, but have gotten all my fish well after sunrise. Do I still need to be out fishing pre-dawn like inthe summer?? Or should I wait until the sun is up and warming things a bit?

there really is not much fishing pressure this time of year. mid day fishing should be good.

if you are fishing deep, open water, pre-dawn isn't necessarily as important as it is near shore fishing during the summer. if you are fishing the shore/harbor, those fish don't have a natural feeding pattern like they do during the summer.

besides it can be awfully chilly before the sun comes up!

I do lots of surf and pier fishing in the fall and I am out and set up a good two hours before the sun comes up. As for the boat that is in hibernation in September. I am primarly fishing for steelhead and salmon. I use spawn and glow little cleos. I catch the bigger fish in the dark so they are still in a feeding pattern before daylight. Next year I might have a smaller boat, so I will probably be using it later in the year. When there is lots of cloud cover the fish seem to be active all day long too.