Wild Fish ?

Here's Question that someone probley knows why, Last weekend on sunday at pentwater them 2 yr - olds all came up on the water almost before you had the rod in your hand, and then charge the boat and try passing ya :eek: lost fish and spoon at the dippsey's when they hit the wire :mad: or was we doing something wrong ? :confused: Maybe dumm Question :no:

Thanks; :thumb:

Yeah, they were wild by us too. We had kings jumping like steelies. Most of the kings hit down deep and rocketed to the top.

They do that in the spring when the water is cold but the water was very warm from 90 ft up where we were. Maybe has to do with immature fish vs spawners???

Only thing you can do is speed up in that situation to keep them from heading into other gear like that. As long as you communicate and react quickly this will work. Same thing when you get a hot one heading for a rigger cable.

When you get the ones going ballistic on the surface, lower the rod tip to keep the line in the water and loosen the drag until they settle down a bit keeping the line tight. Once you get them turned around and coming in they mostly swim right at you the whole time until they hit the net. A lot of the fish behaved like that for me this year, even bigger ones. I had to reel as fast as I could on most of the deeper coppers especially from the time I turned the fish to the time it hit the net. Good reels filled with line to the top help a ton too.

I ifsh alone in my boat alot, so I learned to use the throttle after losing fish because I was too eager to get to the rod. You are going to lose some fish anyway that is why you are fishing. When the rod goes off pick up speed about 1 to 2 mph and watch the pole. This picks the fish off of the bottom and gets it well behind the boat and keeps it out of the way of your other lines. When the fish is where you want it to be slow the boat down and go for the pole.....easier said than done but try it because it does work. Keep your drags set so the fish can take line and you don't lose poles.