RAP Hotline

Put this number on your cell phone phonebook RAP 800 292 7800 it is the DNR Report All Poaching Hotline. A number of people complain on Blogs about slob hunters and fishermen who operate illegally or above the law. Sometimes these people rarely get reported if at all. Another issue is the anti hunter/fisherman who is out there just to ruin your day on the water or in the field. Do not be afraid to place a phone call and make a report the DNR will work and needs your tips. Try to provide them with as much information as possible and as quickly as possible. Remember if you as a sportsperson do nothing then nothing will be done but if you have a valid complaint or tip the DNR will follow up on it.Get all of your hunter/fishing friends to do the same. Now if everyone does their part I hope that I can hear some good things on these blogs about how the DNR hotline worked out good. Keep in mind that there is a limited number of DNR officers out there and every call is not going to be resolved 100 percent but if you do your part you can rest knowing that you did the right thing.

I have used this hotline before and it works. I hunt a piece of CFR land and most of the people follow the rules and walk to their spots. But there are people that think they can ride 4 wheelers in or drive there trucks. It sucks to walk a mile back in to a spot well before light to have a lazy SOB drive in at first light, then get PO'd when you point out they are breaking the law.

Just another heads up. As Bob said there are diminishing numbers of DNR Officers in the state, and not every call to RAP will be handled immediately. I wish that wasn't true, but it is. But, local officers from either the State Police or Sheriff's Depts. will respond ,on most occasions, immediately. The DNR laws are enforceable by local and state law enforcement, and we take them seriously. At my Post anytime we handle a DNR related complaint we forward a copy either to the State DNR, or the local Federal Forrest Officers for additional follow up, as well as taking law enforcement action immediately when necessary.

Many local officers are outdoorsman ourselves, and understand personally the problems that fellow outdoorsman face in dealing with poachers, trespassers, anti's, etc.

Chris

What I would like to see is that everyone who uses this blog and carrys a cellphone afield put the 800 292 7800 in their phonebook and get their hunting and fishing associates to do the same. Tresspassers, poachers, and people who are anti hunting/fishing are out there in the woods and waters every day. Think of it this way if you just drove 200 miles to enjoy a weekend salmon fishing on a northern Michigan river and there were four snaggers in your favorite spot. You would probably not feel too bad calling the DNR on them would you? And you would probably be pretty happy that the number was right there in your cellphone as you are looking at their license plate.