Riser Gasket? 3.0 Merc

If that is the 170 merc motor' date=' I loved mine. MAN was that easy to work on. Never had to do this job (the riser), but the engine was a horse. That double colling system would work all day long and not skip a beat.[/quote']

Not 170, 135 The riser I am refering to is the raw water intake and the exaust all in one. Seems very odd but I am worried I am getting water into my exaust valves:eek: The gasket is leaking on the outside and probably inside also.

I just done my 3.0L Riser. It's not tough. I had to replace my exhaust shutter and that is why I had to pull off the Riser bend. It may be a good idea to replace your shutter if the engine is older. It takes longer to clean the mating surfaces than to do the rest of the job.

Frank brings up an issue that might be your problem. The shutter valve might not be there anymore and you may be getting back flow.

Have you ever over heated your boat???

Thats the thing!!! I havent had it out yet:mad: We picked it up for good price and am starting to wonder if the seller knew about it. Anyway my good friend is a boat mechanic and has dialed me in to a few things to look for after I tear it off. If need be I can fly him up here for the weekend to help me and probably save a few bucks in the process. I just hope the airline lets him fly with all the parts:lol:

Thanks for the tip Frank, I pulled out my "club" last night and removed the riser and to my suprise its still in real good shape. Im going to replace the gasket for now and wait till next year and do the riser and manifold.

Good job on the repair, what did it take four bolts and loosen the clamp on the bellows. Sometimes its easy to get intimadated, just take your time, look it over and see if you want to attempt it. That will save you some money right there. :thumb::thumb:

Tom