Information needed- Okuma Catalina

Does anyone use the Okuma Catalina reels? If so, would you be able to give me any information about the quality of the reels. I know they are supposed to be better than the convectors, but are they that much better? What is a reasonable price for one of these, a 455 DA model? I'm seeing prices from 100- 250. I think I got a good deal on it but I'm curious about other location's prices. What is best place in the spread for it? ie. should it be a copper or lead or downrigger rod.

Thanks in advance for any info on these reels.

i have some of the catalinas from last year and am happy with the reels.

they redesigned them for this season and the price jumped very drastically. they added a tension spool control mechanism. it is a secondary one-way drag system designed so you can let out line at a controlled rate without having the reel in a full free spool.

http://www.okumafishing.com/media_3.php

I have a dozen of the older style Catalinas. A couple of them have had issues. When I first started purchasing them in 2006, they were $99. In 2007 Cabelas was offering the Catalina and a rod for $139. Okuma has remade the reel and it is pricey!

Thanks guys. What kinds of issues did you have with them Mike? Were they major or minor issues?

The issues I had with mine were the same issues people were having with the convectors. For some reason they would not fully engauge when I engauged the lever. Set the rod. fish would hit, and the reel would almost free spool. I had issues with the clickers also. Some wore out fast. Some of my reels have a plastic click pawl spring, and others have a metal click pawl spring. This must have been a change they made while trying to address an issue.

I do not have any of the new style catalinas.

The Convectors and Cats both share the same drag, drive, and spool. The Cats have the billet frame, thats the difference. This year, like posted above, they refined it again trying to get to the Saltist or Tekota level. In my opinion, bad move for the Cat, very pricey and not there quality wise. For my money on fresh water, the Convector is just as good as the Cat. I sell both, but the Convector is a better value in my opinion.

The last time I shopped for a reel, I was floored by the price jump of most models.

I wanted a catalina but quickly looked at the convector and settled on the Penn GT 2. Roughly the same specs. as the convector. Loudest clicker I have heard in a long time.

Put wire on that Penn reel and so far so good.

hih